Chapter Twenty-two: Chase & I

"This place is so... dreary," I hear Taylor say as he stared out at the pouring rain outside the moving train. "I wonder why the vampires chose to keep him here."

"They didn't," I tell him. "Consul Frost did."

Taylor looks at me from the opposite seat, crossing his arms over his T-shirt that we bought on the way here. "If Consul Frost put him there, then why do you want to break him out?" He asks me.

"Because Chase is someone important to me." I yawn and stretch my arms as I feel my eyes closing. I felt the dark consume me in sleep.

We walk in the light

We watch from a far

We protect the pure

And we kill the unknown

We are the Hunters

We kill those that threaten the pure

Our faith shall never be tainted, whether dead or alive

Our bond makes us strong

This is our reason of living

To hunt

I finish reciting all that was on the page before me. I looked at the tall man before the class, he looks back at us. "Good, you've all pledged your loyalty to us," He told us. "Now, which one of you can tell me a little known fact about the Hunters?" He asks, looking around the room of people. Most of them were teens, older than me; I must have been the youngest. "Yes, you at the back."

"Hunters always work in pairs," A voice said. It sounded young, childish a bit. I look and see a boy around my age, probably older than me by a year or so. He grinned, flashing his teeth to the man in the front.

"Yes, you're correct." He said, turning around and writing on the board. "By next week, you must choose a partner, a partner that you'll be bonded too for life. This partner will be your best friend, your brother, or sister, whatever. This partner will stay connected to you, that is unless you break off bond to the Organisation. However, under extreme cases, if a Hunter is unavailable, the Organisation will allow you to form a new bond." He says, pausing from his lecture to watch us all. "But remember this, your old bond will never fade away, instead, the three of you will be bonded together and no matter what -you must protect your partners." With that, a loud church bell rang as people got their stuff  and left.

I closed my book and tucked my notes inside it. After a while, I noticed a pair of feet in front of my desk and look up. It was the kid that answered before. "What?" I snapped at him, I was still uncomfortable with the people here.

"Hi, I'm Chase," He held his hand out to me, grinning.

"Get lost," I muttered to him and walked away. He didn't seem to leave me alone because he was trailing right behind me, it was annoying the way he followed me with a relaxed smile on his lips. "I said go away." I snap softly at him.

Chase grins once more and shows his teeth again. "I know, I heard you the first time." He said. "I'm just going back to the hostel."

I stared at him before I turned and left. I felt embarrassed by that. Of course he lived in the hostel too, students below the age of eighteen had to stay there.

The next day was training; I was the weakest ling being smaller than the others.

"She's pathetic," I heard a group of slightly older girls whisper as they casted dark glances at me before they laughed. I brush my clothes and stand up, glancing away from them.