Chapter Twenty-Three: Safe House

The safe house stood over a cliff; it was a sea side holiday home, the perfect deception to humans. I looked at it and noted the vampires that patrolled the land. The house was small, but there must be more to it than meets the eye.

Taylor glances nervously at it before looking back to me. "Are you sure we're in the right place?" He asks me, but I place a finger on my lip silencing him.

"They have incredible hearing," I tell him, hushing him as I ushered him to follow me. I wasn't really familiar with this area, but I know that we had to make our move tonight. I drop the bag of supplies I had packed and ushered for Taylor to come close. "Alright, this is what we're going to do."

The moon casts a light shadow over the sky, vampire guards patrolled the area. They looked more modernised compared to ones that guarded Drake Manor; one year must have changed them a lot.
I took out my tazer and ran through the shadows, my footsteps lightly touching the ground with each gaining step as I got behind a guard. With their vampire senses, they turned, but I used my tazer and gently laid the man down. It wasn't long before the others were done, it made some time for us to get in, but sure enough the others would be alerted. I gestured for Taylor to come out, he ran as fast as he could as we slipped through the front door. There was a camera watching us, I smirked and stuck my tongue out at it.

"Why did you do that for?" Taylor hissed as we crawled on all four limbs.

"It's my life," I simply replied. Glancing around, I could see that it was like a normal beach house, we were in the living room. There were chairs; shelves aligned with books and of course, a fire place. "There has to be a basement door somewhere here." I muttered, my hands feeling the ground. Taylor crawled closely behind me, his hands fastened on the bag of weapons. I felt a brass knob; I felt it again and turned it slightly just to check. Smirking to myself, I turned it.

Click...

"What was that?" Taylor whispered urgently.

I silenced him as I fully turned the knob, this time lifting it up gently. Beneath the door, there was a staircase. We descended down the stairs, as we got closer to the end, we could already hear voices.

"What's the matter you piece of shit? You already weak?" A voice taunted.

"You know, if I was in charge of your trial, I would have just had you killed." A voice said before loud laughter was heard. There had to be more than four vampires down there.

But then a loud sound interupted my train of thoughts, it was siren.

"Intruders," The same voice said before a hurdle of footsteps were heard, running in the opposite direction from us. Probably to another exit. As soon as the door slammed shut, I poked my hole to check the surrounding. It was cleared so I ran up to Chase's cage.

He looked terrible, almost unrecognisable. His face was covered in dirt, his body so thin that I could see his ribs. His hair was long and shaggy now, falling over his shoulder. How long have they kept him in here? "Chase?" I whisper, my palms gripping tightly against the bars between us. His chains rattles slightly as he looks up at me weakly.

"Kris..." He manages to reply. I bend down and look at him. "You have to leave..." He coughs. "It's a trap..." His voice begins to crack.

"What?"

The next moment, my head came in contact with something thick. My eyes darkened as I fell out of consciousness. The last thing I think I saw was... Taylor?