Defeat and resolve

He had given Aubrey her space during the strained shuttle ride back to the Normandy where they immediately left the system.

Tali and Garrus set to work repairing EDI's body, but thankfully, it was EDI's voice that greeted them as they stepped off the shuttle.

"I am pleased the rest of the team did not come to harm," she said.

"I'm sorry that you did," Aubrey replied.

"While the mobile unit was damaged, I was in no real danger, Commander. My primary programming resides within the Normandy's systems."

"It still...scared me, EDI," she confessed. "I don't think I can stand to put any more names on the memorial wall."

"I will endeavor not to cause you any further fear or distress, Shepard, but I would gladly risk non-functionality for you. For anyone on this ship."

A soft smile graced Aubrey's lips, as she replied, "And why's that, EDI?"

"Because...you are my friends. And you should love your friends and that means being willing to give up everything for them, including yourself."

"You're sounding very human, EDI."

"I suppose I am. Cerberus may have created my programming, and Jeff may have unshackled me so I could think for myself. But it was you who made me feel alive, Shepard...my humanity, that is your influence."

Aubrey's smile widened. "Is that humanity worth defending?" she asked.

There was a brief pause before EDI responded, "To the death, Commander."

The determined fire was back in Aubrey's eyes as she said, "Oorah."

The team split up, dealing with gear, reports, and injuries. He looked for Aubrey when he was done, but couldn't find her and no one seemed to know where she was.

"EDI?" he asked, "Where's Commander Shepard?"

"In the comm room, Major."

He decided to be rash and walked into the room, not caring who she may be talking with. But instead of having a conversation, she was leaning against the wall staring at the blinking light indicating an incoming transmission.

"You gonna get that?" he asked quietly.

She took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, stepping onto the holo pad and answering.

"Commander Shepard," Councilor Tevos appeared. "We've lost contact with Thessia...the planet has gone dark," she said without preamble.

"I know, Councilor. The mission..." she hesitated.

"How soon will the Crucible be ready to deploy?" she asked.

"I don't know. We...," her voice faltered, "we failed, Councilor. We didn't get the information."

"What?! What happened?"

"Cerberus was there and we...were defeated."

"I...I don't know what to say," Tevos confessed, her posture deflating. "You'll excuse me, Commander, I must go. There are...preparations to make."

He wasn't sure what she meant, but her image cut out as she disconnected the transmission right in the middle of Aubrey's mumbled words of 'I'm sorry.'

She leaned forward on her hands against the railing and hung her head. He stepped forward and went to slide his arms around her waist to hug her to him, but she twisted out of his grip.

"Don't, Kaidan," she said, her voice breaking as she came close to tears.

"Aubrey, c'mon...don't push me away. Not when you need support."