twenty-two

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Yoon Cham-jo held Lee Su-hyeok's hand as they walked around the quarantine camp, wearing comfortable clothes this time instead of their school uniforms. The red glasses wearing boy had finished placing a padlock on the fence. He had carved Minari's and Nam-ra's initials onto it, drawing a little heart.

He had frequently joined On-jo on trips to a tree just outside the camp, where they honored their friends. From the tree, they could see the school and other parts of the city they once called home. However, on one of these excursions, they had spotted a blazing orange spot on top of the school's roof. The pair glanced at each other.

"Do we tell the others?"

"It's only fair. It may be stupid, but we'll tell Su-hyeok first," Cham-jo said, putting his hands in his pockets. On-jo shot him a look. "What? I'm biased. He's my boyfriend, I can't keep anything from him."

"Your hands included," On-jo said knowingly and Cham-jo gawked at her.

The next day at camp, On-jo went to find the pair, finding them sitting against a tent together. Su-hyeok had his head on Cham-jo's lap whilst he read a book to him. The pair glanced up at her, giving her matching heart-stopping smiles.

The trio started to walk, "Where have you been? I couldn't find you two. I saw the others a few times around here."

"I wanted to see them," On-jo said. "but I couldn't do it. I thought it might remind me."

"Will you forget if you don't see them?"

On-jo didn't answer the question, "We went to the mountain last night and saw a campfire." They paused. Cham-jo sighed, adjusting the beanie on his head. "We think someone lit a fire on the school rooftop."

"On the rooftop? Are you guys sure about that?"

"Look. I may be half-blind, but I'm pretty sure," Cham-jo nodded his head. "And Nam-ra did say that we should have a campfire if we should ever meet again." They glanced around as Cham-jo leaned forward. "We're planning to go tonight."

"I'll go with you."

They watched On-jo walk away, but not before telling the boys not to tell the others as it might still be too dangerous. However, when On-jo and Cham-jo went to where they'd usually climb the wall, they found Su-hyeok waiting with the others.

"I told you not to tell them," On-jo said scoldingly as Cham-jo fixed his boyfriend with a stern look. She kicked the boy's leg.

"Hey, I kept my mouth shut," Cham-jo defended. "Jesus." He turned around ti find Ha-ri leaning down to kiss Mi-jin after flicking away her cigarette. "I turned around for three seconds, what the hell?"

"Apologies if I can't keep my hands off of my girlfriend," Ha-ri shot him a glare. Dae-su turned, looking guiltily at On-jo before looking away as Su-hyeok scolded him. The Yang boy proceeded to tap Ha-ri on the shoulder.

"Um, I told you it was between us."

Ha-ri then turned to Mi-jin, caressing her chin before tapping her nose teasingly, "She said she'd tell the cops if we didn't take her."

"They won't give me special admission for the surviving the zombie attack," Mi-jin complained, standing up.

"How is that even related? We'll be arrested if we get caught," Dae-su before glaring pointedly at Min-jae, who Hyo-ryeong was hugging for body warmth. "What's up with you two?"