CHAPTER 28 - playground

a/n - please remember to vote! feel free to comment your thoughts as you read it gives me sm serotonin 

evan and i walk hand in hand, seeing the playground park in the distance. "i can see a few people there!" he exclaims, pointing to the park with the other hand. i chuckle, nodding. "i'm surprised i haven't taken you here before, it's like a 3 minute walk." i say, and we reach the park. "can we go on the swings?!" he says excitedly, rushing to the swings. "wait up!" i say, running to the swings. "look y/n! kate's here!"

i stop at the swings, meeting eye contact with kate, her blue eyes not looking the same as it did. how am i this unlucky? i look at the baby on the swings, it's the same baby from when i went over to kate's. she stops pushing the baby, and evan climbs into the seat. "hi kate." he says, smiling at he looks to kate on his left. "hi, evan." kate replies, eyes still on me. i break eye contact, standing behind evan. 

to make things worse, evan gets off the swings, running to another part of the playground. i sit on the swings, swinging my legs a little. after a few minutes, the baby starts crying. i turn my gaze to kate as she stops pushing her, standing in front. "what's wrong?" she asks, slightly in a baby voice. the baby starts crying, and kate gives her a pacifier from her bag, but she pushes it away. i stand up from the swings, walking a few steps to kate. "she's probably thirsty." i say. "what are you, a baby whisperer now?" she says, chuckling. "something like that." i respond, smiling vaguely as kate moves her hand around her bag. "and guess who didn't bring water." kate says, sighing as she looks around the park.

i open my bag, handing a plastic water bottle to kate. "here." i say, handing it to her. "thank you," she says, unscrewing it. i see evan playing with a few kids, sliding down the slide. i smile, watching him run around with them. i feel something hit my chest and i look down, seeing kate's hand holding my water bottle, bottle against my chest. "oh- sorry." i say, taking it, placing it in my bag. kate crouches, adjusting the baby's shirt. "why didn't you bring lucky?" i strike up the conversation. "i think one baby's enough." kate says, and i can't help but chuckle. kate smiles, standing up normally. 

"y/n?" kate says, standing behind the swings as she pushes lightly. she hasn't said my name in forever. "hm?" i hum, looking at her. "i'm sorry for what i said before. about you sitting on your ass. whenever i get frustrated or something, i just tend to let everything out, and some of that anger wasn't even from you, it was my own. i'm sorry i put it on you, i feel like such an idiot." she says. i stay silent for a few seconds, taking everything in. "i'm sorry for getting so mad at you," i start off, sighing as i stare at the floor, "i overreacted. a lot. i mean, it was just a six month anniversary, right?" i say, looking at kate as she's focused on pushing. "i guess..." she mumbles, still clearly feeling bad. "i just hope we're on good terms now." i finally admit, watching evan climb on the monkey bars for the 50th time. "yeah, me too. i hate how awkward it is!" kate says and i nod in agreement.

after a while, kate stops pushing, shaking her arms. "we should probably go home now." she says, moving to the front of the swings to unbuckle the metal chain. evan runs back to me, clearly tired. i hand him the water bottle and he unscrews it, drinking it. "c'mon, you big baby." kate says, placing her hands under the baby's armpit and she pulls her up. "ready to go?" i ask evan and he nods, handing me the water bottle as his mouth is full with water. 

we walk to kate's car as it's the same way as our house, and kate buckles the baby in. she closes the door, turning to me. "see you... monday?" she says. "yeah, see you." i reply, kate smiling. "bye kate!" evan says. kate turns her head to him, kneeling down for a hug. they embrace as kate rubs his back, pulling away after a few seconds. she stands up again, looking at me with a slight smile.

kate runs into me, wrapping her arms around my neck. my eyes widen surprisingly, but i'm quick to wrap my arms around her tighter. i'm glad i still have her, even if it's not the way that i wanted to have her. god, i regret breaking up with her. i close my eyes, wrapping my arms more securely around kate's waist.