Chapter 41

It took Stiles a good five minutes to look for Katniss, but he found her outside on a swing with what looked like a gazebo "Katniss?" Stiles whispered in a soft voice trying not to scare Katniss who he finally found with her back turned from him "Here" she whispered sniffling with her hands cupped together with a little fire dancing in them "What are you doing out here little dove?" he asks, going around kneeling down in front of her face with a small head tilt "I used to come out here when I was a kid before my dad died and a couple times for holidays to be alone from the fancy people" she responded sounding so small. "What else happened?" Stiles asked "Uh my papa or dad as Prim called him, he came to find me while my mom would distract Emily and stop any future marriages she was planning but anyway he used to get me my favorite treats in one plate and would share them with me and would take me to a park nearby to just swing in but Richard and him made this swing for me whenever I felt down or had a panic attack I would come out here to look at the stars and moon with them or just my papa" Katniss explained smiling at the night sky. "That sounds amazing" Stiles said going to sit on the grass looking at the sky as well "How about you with your parents?" Katniss asked, looking at him for a second "What do you mean?" Stiles asked confusedly "What are your parents like now or when you were a kid?" she asked "Well my dad is sheriff in our old hometown and here he is deputy soon to be sheriff and we hang out a lot or when we can with school and him working" "And your mom?" she asked softly "She uh (clears throat) she died when I was 10 years old" Stiles replied with water in his eyes "I'm so sorry I didn't know I never should have asked" Katniss said sadly and disappointed in herself looking down at the ground. Stiles puts his finger under Katniss' chin making her look at him softly smiling "Hey, hey don't worry about it okay? It was a long time ago, well 7 years ago but it's fine you could ask me anything without a doubt I promise" Stiles looked in her eyes which just made her slowly nod "How (gulps) how did she die?" Katniss asked "I'll tell you if you tell me those amazing snacks your dad got for you during the fancy parties like these" he said making another deal with her which she just nodded again. "Uh the treats were-" Katniss was cut off by her mom coming down the little hill with two plates in hand with drinks "Here you go sweetheart" Hazelle said giving them the drinks and plates of some food and snacks "Thanks mom just like papa always with the treats" Katniss said smiling a bit "Of course and I want to apologize on behalf of Emily for the way she talked and how she slapped you she should have never touched you in the first place" Hazelle said with a upset voice "Uh Mrs. Everdeen, what was your husband like?" Stiles asked to change the subject so none of the two women can be down or blaming themselves for something they couldn't control "Where do I start?" Hazelle said sitting on the grass with her dress looking like wings on the ground "How about how you two met Mom that is always my favorite" Katniss said smiling "Well I was about 17 when I met Dimitar we were from two different worlds he was a poor coal miner boy and I was a rich nursing girl but we went to high school together same grade different cliques and one day during our science class project we had to be in groups and during the time I was with my ex-boyfriend Elijah" Hazelle said explaining to the two "They had done group studies just for one project alone but made it seem more" Katniss said laughing then got a bite of chocolate strawberries while Hazelle talked more about their relationship. "So you left your well-off parents to marry Katniss's father, a poor coal miner?" Stiles asked "Well more like gave up a life I didn't want for something better" Hazelle explained laughing nervously "I'm glad Elijah never became my father" Katniss said getting a sipe of her Sprite "Well it never would have happened or worked in the first place" Hazelle said smirking "What do you mean?" "Well Elijah is part vampire, part demon and vampires can't procreate so being with your father is a better decision than anything I have ever made since he is a human or was human" Hazelle said smiling softly leaving.