Pity the living

Summary: Witty banter—slight enemies to lovers angst begins when the reader has to marry Aleksander as her only option

Word count: 4k

Warnings: Angst, death of parent, arranged marriage, period drama misogyny

An: ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new place, change of surroundings an entire different spices of mortals around her yet y/n found the little palace library the most fitting place to spend sun up to sun down.
Lady y/n the only daughter of lord y/l/n who was known for his battleship and renowned loyalty. The family name known for honour, y/n acted on the thin line of honour and extreme pride. It was expected of a motherless only child to a single father that to be from a noble house be treated with all the riches and care. Though her father's love didn't make her as spoiled as one would think. Surely she was prideful and witty, often didn't indulge in conversations she didn't like to be a part of or the company. She was raised with the 'courtesies of noblewomen' classes as well but saints be dammed if she ever used them. She wasn't rude or upfront impolite, she never used the fake smiling and the thank yous unnecessarily or right.
She believed they were for the daughters who were ought to be married or to some lord in some other country or some grey haired tsar of some place. Her father had made it clear that she wouldn't be marrying anyone she doesn't want to, nor would she be marrying at all if she didn't wish to. "She is my heir and will rule the kingdom while I grow into shroud." Her father would reason people when they urge him to marry her into a suitable house.

House y/l/n was known for loyalty and not talking in some sense is what brought them and their army to the little palace to provide men to one more war the tsar started. A foolish one really, an avoidable battle fought by a drunken fool and morons to support his decision is what Aleksander thought of it. Surely he had no part in it since grisha couldn't fight first army battles between countries.

More the time for him to get acquainted with a special someone. It was the second battle they had to attend the little palace and they'd met before at the fete and galas. He had always found it different how y/n wouldn't mind speaking up or talking back at him reasonably agitated-which just made him want to converse with her more. It was strange to him how others would shiver contradicting or disagreeing with the general but y/n had no regret nor would she hold back. Swear at him like a pirate if he inconvenienced her to an extent, which always happened. And it was about to as Aleksander walked through the doors of the empty library where y/n was reading and as usual took no notice of him entering.

He walked over to the empty table pulling out the chair across her which made a creaking sound of it scratching with the ground. This time y/n looked up and before she could express her annoyance of him disturbing her reading he spoke "Ah lady y/n! It's your third time at the little palace and every time I find you here in the study."

Y/n shifted in her seat sitting up straight now that she was in someone's presence "You again. General." She sighed and greeted him.

"Courtesies? It is just me and you here? Are you unwell?" He said with a fake-shocked expression, y/n had a history of calling him names 'shadow man' 'a connoisseur of bad dressing' 'head of bad judgment' when she didn't roll her eyes at him.
"Apparently father heard me the last time I called you the herald of Ravaka's future and has asked me to be nice to you in his absence."

Aleksander beamed to himself remembering that conversation. It wasn't wrong for y/n to do it because she belonged to the noble family and he couldn't imprison or punish her for her words, not that he wanted to. He would only meet y/n once or twice a year if not something huge and could barely talk to her. When they did talk it would always be a banter resulting in her calling him names but if someone were to walk their way she would entirely change the conversation so no one would think low of her.