Dragon Training

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

I carefully snuck into my house, well technically the Hofferson's house. I quickly head to my room and closed the door as quietly as possible. I let out a sigh of relief, "Where have you been?" I jump and get into a fighting stance only to see Astrid standing next to a candle on my desk with arms cross and a stern look on her face.

I loosen my stance but my heart is still pounding. I put on a neutral expression so she wouldn't get suspicious. "Out. I have a life y'know." I honestly didn't need a lecture right now. Especially one from Astrid. She thinks she's the boss of me, even though I'm older than her by a month. Don't get me wrong, I see her like a sister but she can be so rude. She's always about being the best and it annoys me how she only cares about winning.

"Well, while you were out, Mom and Dad will be away searching for the Dragon's Nest. And they put us in dragon training." Oh for the love of Thor. "What? But, isn't it too soon?" I couldn't go through with this. I couldn't kill a dragon, especially after what happened. "(Y/N). This is our destiny." Astrid walks up to me and stands in front of me, but I couldn't look her in the eye. "We are vikings. We are the next generation. Remember what happened to your parents." I let out a sigh. I know I should be furious at the mention of my parents, but I just felt sad.

She laid a hand on my shoulder and spoke in a soft tone that she only ever use with me when we're alone. "It's time to be a true warrior." With that she leaves and I am left alone. I sit on my bed and look at my sword. I grab it and remove it from its scabbard. It was my father's and it has been passed down through the (L/N) family for generations. It's handle was wrapped in black leather and the guard curved upwards slightly, looking like bat wings. And the blade is long, it was almost 3 ft., and was made from a rare mineral that never rust and was sharper and stronger than any blade made on Berk. It also looks as though it glows when the moonlight shines on it.

It was recovered from the fire and the only thing left of my parents. I sheath it and lay on my back. I grip it tightly, holding it close. "Mom, Dad. What am I going to do?"

Third Person P.O.V.

"Welcome to Dragon Training." Gobber says, as he opens the gate to the arena. The first day of Dragon Training. "No turning back." Astrid says out loud. She and the other teens, including a reluctant (Y/N), walk into the area and look around in amazement. Gates were all around them holding dragons captured to help them train and a cage above them to keep the creatures from escaping. It was level down as if carved, so that others could watch from above.

"I hope to get some serious burns." Tuffnut says. "I'm hoping for some mauling. Like on my shoulder or lower back." Ruffnut adds. "Yeah. It's only fun if you get a scar out of it." Astrid says, with determination. "Yeah no kidding right? Pain, love it." Everyone looked back and saw Hiccup. (Y/N) was happy but also surprised to find him here. "Oh great. Who let him in?" Tuffnut comments.

"Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village." Gobber states. "Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so does that disqualify him or." Snotlout teases and the twins laugh with him. "Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" Tuffnut comments again. (Y/N) sent a glare their way.

"Don't worry. You're small and weak, that will make you less of a target. They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead." Gobber tries to cheer up Hiccup. Key word: tries. The teens are all lined up and (Y/N) moved so that she was positioned between Fishlegs and Hiccup. She sends a small smile his way to cheer him up. He smiles back and the two focus on Gobber.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight. The Deadly Nadder." Fishlegs then state some stats on the dragons. "Speed eight. Armor sixteen." "The Hideous Zippleback." "Stealth eleven times two." "The Monstorus Nightmare." "Firepower eighteen." "The Terrible Terror." "Attack eight. Venom twelve." "Can You Stop That?!" Gobber snaps at the boy.

"And, the Gronckle." Gobber finish as he grabs a lever. "Jaw strength eight." Fishlegs whispers to (Y/N) and Hiccup. "Whoa! Whoa, Wait. Aren't you gonna teach us first?" Snotlout asks worried. "I believe in learning on the job." Gobber answers as he pulls the lever. The dragon bursts through the doors and the teens run to avoid the bulky dragon.

"Today is about survival. If you get blasted; you're dead. Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?" Gobber asks the teens. "A doctor?" Hiccup says sarcastically. "Plus five speed." Fishlegs states a stat. "A shield." Astrid answers. "Shield! Go!" Gobber orders. "The most important piece of equipment is your shield! If you must make a choice between a sword or a shield: take the shield." He states, as he helped Hiccup get a hold on his shield while everyone else grabbed one.

Except the twins who were fighting over the same shield. "Get your hands off my shield!" "There's like a million shields!" "Take that one, it has a flowers on it. Girls like flowers." Ruffnut used the shield and hit it on her brother's head. "Ow!" "Oops. Now this one has blood on it." The Gronckle fires at the shield which blasted out of their hands and leaving the twins dizzy. "Ruffnut, Tuffnut, you're out!" Gobber says, as the two were regaining their senses. "Those shields are good for another thing. Noise. Make lots of it to throw off a dragon's aim."

The other teens use their weapons to bang on their shields. This resulted in the dragon to become disoriented and couldn't focus clearly.
"All dragons have a limited number of shots. How many does a Gronckle have?" Gobber asks. "Five?" Snotlout guesses. "No six!" Fishlegs answers. "Correct! That's almost one for each of you!" "I really don't-" Fishlegs' shield than got blasted out of his hand. "Fishlegs, out." The blonde boy ran off screaming. "Hiccup! Get in there!" Gobber yells, as Hiccup took cover behind a weapons rack as shot was blasted near him.

(Y/N) wanted to go to him but was focused on the dragon. Astrid was too but the two were currently with Snotlout, who decided that it was a perfect time to flirt. "So, anyway, I moved into my parents' basement. You should come by sometime to work out. You look like you work out." Astrid somersaults away as (Y/N) runs off to avoid getting blasted, for which Snotlout took and was knocked down but was unharmed thanks to the shield. "Snotlout, you're done!" Gobber comments.

The two end up with Hiccup. "So, I guess it's just us." He says. "Nope. Just you." Astrid says and runs off. Hiccup lifted his shield to block the blast as (Y/N) moves to avoid it, but Hiccup's shield was knocked out of his hand and he starts chasing it. "One shot left." Gobber says. The Gronckle then chased after the skinny teen. "Hiccup!" Gobber calls out. The boy was backed up to a wall and was about to be blasted, but (Y/N), not wanting him to be killed, sheathed her sword and rushed to him and uses her shield to hit its head upward so it missed Hiccup.

Gobber used his hook to wrangle the dragon back into its cage. "And that's six. Go back to bed you overgrown sausage!" Once the gates were shut, everyone breathed in relief. "You'll get another chance. Don't you worry. Now remember a dragon will always, always go for the kill." He said and helps Hiccup up. He thinks about what the one-armed viking said and made eye contact with (Y/N).

Both having the same thought.