21

"That's everything." Derek said, bringing his last bag in from the car. It felt great to be home with his wife and not be living out of a hotel room and a suitcase anymore.

"You brought hotel soap." She replied, looking in a bag next to her on the couch. "And dental floss."

"The floss I brought with me to the hotel...the soap...I always take that."

"Okay." She breathed, a tired giggle escaping her lips.

"You don't take hotel soaps?" He laughed, finally sitting on the couch with her.

"You usually beat me to them."

"Hmm...That's true."

"Rich brain surgeon and you still steal from hotels."

"It's not stealing if you paid for the room."

"Alright Derek." Meredith sighed.

"I'm glad to be home." Derek whispered.

"I'm glad you're home." She whispered. "And apparently I'll be here until I can eat."

"You're not happy with what the Chief said?"

"Well I can't even cut or suture until I'm able to eat and look apparently like a person." Meredith groaned. "I mean...do I look that bad?"

"You want the truth?" Derek asked.

"Sure...wait." Meredith frowned, a hand moving over her stomach before rolling her eyes at her husband. "No...I don't want the truth."

"You don't look that bad...but you don't look like you're pregnant either."

"Yes I do...my boobs...they're definitely pregnant."

"Okay...the boobs definitely say pregnant...but that's all."

"You want my stomach fat?"

"I want you to be eating...and just...not be pale..."

"I know but I can't eat...we tried this morning...then I threw up in all three trashcans between the parking lot and the front entry way of the hospital."

"Morning sickness...is usually not all day though..." He whispered.

"Remember when I said I would try a turkey sandwich yesterday?"

"Yeah."

"That didn't go so well."

"Maybe...some soup or something."

"Not hungry."

"Will you at least try later?"

"Yeah."

"I know I'm being pushy and I said I wouldn't but...eating is kind of important."

"I know."

"I'll shut up now."

"It's okay." She breathed, an arm resting on the edge of the couch.

"No...I don't want to be like that again." He sighed.

"You're not...you're...I know why you're worried." She whispered, a hand moving over her stomach.

"Baby..." He smiled lightly, putting his hand on top of hers.

"We made one." She whispered, looking up at him.

"We're not a dud."

"I hate that word...we were being so bad and even if this hadn't happened...we wouldn't have been duds. We could have just been us."