29

She was happy, completely happy because her hand was firmly on the tiny hint of a bump, where she held their baby. It was magical. But what seemed even more magical, was watching her husband hang garland over their fireplace. She had never been one to get excited over the holidays, except now she wanted decorations everywhere. Even the bathrooms were going to have decorations.

Derek was ecstatic, even as he struggled to get the garland to hang right, he continued to look back at her with a twinkle in his eyes as she sucked on a candy cane. The only thing to not make her feel completely nauseas. Every day, everything still made her nauseas, but there were times when she could actually keep things down, which was really a step up. Even if Derek still became protective.

Even that couldn't bother her. Because she knew this would go away, it was just a tough start to her first pregnancy. But it all paled as a problem as she watched her husband, look down at the hand on her stomach. "What?"

"That's getting bigger everyday." He smiled.

"Your Mom wasn't kidding when she said I'd have a bump overnight." Meredith giggled, running her hand over the thin fabric of her now tight t-shirt. "It's a little round now."

"It's quite possibly the most amazing thing...ever." Derek smiled, turning back to finish the garland.

"Here's a thumbtack." She said, stepping up to him as she sucked on the candy cane.

"Thanks." He laughed, sticking the last part in and then hopping down from the ladder. "That'll probably fall down in twenty minutes."

"Probably." She giggled.

"I'm good with brains...not garlands."

"It looks good." She whispered, a hand moving over her stomach. "And in a few days...I get to go to work...and watch you be good with brains."

"You went to work yesterday." He breathed, moving his arms around her waist.

"And then I threw up in a patients room." She giggled.

"I know...I was there." He laughed.

"But then I kept down a grilled cheese."

"A cold soggy grilled cheese."

"I still ate it." She replied, walking over to a bag of stuff they had purchased just a few hours earlier.

"I know...And I'm glad you did." He said, putting another extra tack to keep the garland up.

"'Where's the bag with the candles?" She asked, a hand moving to her back.

"I think they're in the one by the door."

"Okay." She whispered, walking out of the living room and returning a moment later.

"Did you find them?"

"Yeah." She smiled, sitting the bag on a side table and lifting out a candle. "Maybe in a few weeks...I could get a few shirts."

"I like that one." He grinned.

"You like it because it's too tight." She rolled her eyes.

"I like when you wear my t-shirts."

"Then I'll wear your t-shirts for the next ten weeks."

"You could do that."

"And then when I get too fat for those..."

"I'm afraid it will be time for maternity clothes."

'What?"

"You heard me." Derek laughed, grabbing a string of lights to put over the doorway."