37

The only thought running through Derek's had as he got into the elevator on the OR floor to go back down to his office, was that he hated his job. Almost every day, he wished it was still Christmas and New Year's and he and Meredith were at home, and uninterrupted. Aside from Mark and Izzie's wedding, their short vacation had been relaxing. The bachelor party Derek planned for Mark turned out to be acceptable and the wedding had gone off without a hitch, aside from Mark forgetting his vows halfway through reciting them.

He loved surgery. And loved being able to save people's lives. Except now that his wife was almost five months pregnant, he hated it. It seemed like every time they were going to do something important or have time alone since they'd been back from vacation, he had to go into surgery. Meredith refused to work less hours, despite Derek's request for her to cut down on the time on her feet, which wasn't a big surprise.

Now, he was the one who was absolutely exhausted. It was almost nine o'clock at night and he had been at work since five. He and Meredith were supposed to have both been off at five but Derek had gotten pulled into surgery and Meredith had decided to wait for him instead of leave without him. Four hours later, he walking back to his office, expecting it to be empty ,only to see his pregnant wife asleep on the couch, her hand on her stomach that seemed to be getting bigger everyday.

He smiled to himself as he quietly closed the door walking over to the couch and bending kneeling down next to her kissing her cheek. "Mer...Meredith..."

"No..." She mumbled from her sleep, turning on her side.

"Mer...Wake up. It's me..." He whispered, gently rubbing her arm.

"I'm asleep."

"I know...It's late..."

"So I'm sleeping." She mumbled, letting him press his nose against hers as she continued to sleep.

"We can go home and sleep." He said, pressing a light kiss on her lips.

"Mmm...are you done?"

"I'm done."

"Hmm...." Meredith yawned, her eyes blinking slowly.

"Hello sleepyhead." Derek smiled, kissing her again.

"Tired." She yawned, closing her eyes again.

"How's my son?" He whispered, putting his hand on her stomach.

"He wishes he was a girl." She whispered, giggling tiredly as her hand met his. They had learned this morning, that they would expect a son, making Derek right.

"He's a boy." Derek smiled. "I love saying that."

"Mothers instinct was wrong."

"It happens. My mom thought I was a girl."

"Hmm...I'm going to be stuck with all boys." She giggled, opening her eyes again.

"Cute boys." He laughed.

"You only get two tries."

"We'll make a girl next time."

"Hmm...I might like raising boys."

"You're not raising me."

"So you think."

"Move over." Derek laughed, rolling his eyes as he got onto the couch with her.

"I'm fat."

"You are not fat...you're pregnant."

"Fat."