Chapter 16

A nurse walks in around nine at night and tells us to go home. We say goodbye to Bre and walk to the lobby. Lexi puts a hand on my shoulder and walks out the door. I wonder where she's staying. "Um, hey Sally." "Yeah?" I turn around and look into Max's bright blue eyes. "You're not going home are you." I look to the ground. After the park, I have no intention of going home, "No." "Do you have anywhere to go?" I meet his eyes and look away, "I'll find somewhere." I hear Max sigh, "Sally. Would you want to come to my place?" Again I look him in his eyes. I guess I had a look on my face cause Max immediately grabs my hand, "Only if you're comfortable. I promise I'm not gonna do anything" he leans in and whispers in my ear, "even if I want to." He laughs as I shove him back face as red as a god damn tomato. I sit there and think, I have nowhere else to go. Honestly, I won't fare well on the streets. I have no other family I know of other than my mom, aunt, and cousin, "Fine." We text our parents and within ten minutes Max's parents are there to pick us up. We get in the car I introduce myself, and we're off.

Max and I sit on his bed and watch a movie. As the credits roll he pauses the movie and turns to me, "Sally, be honest with me. How are you really holding up?" I sigh and lean back on the bed board. He leans back too and slides his hand around my waist, "I'm worried about you." I sigh, 'I don't know how to describe it. I'm stressed? Although stressed is an understatement." I think back to the knife, did I really try to kill myself? Did I think that was the answer? I was about to leave Bre and Max and Lexi. Mom, too I guess but I think she'd be happier without me. Max's mom comes in with an air mattress. I practically jump off the bed to help her set it up. When we're finished she smiles, wishes us a good night, and leaves. "It's late, we should probably go to bed," I say as I get set up on the air mattress. As I'm about lay down a blanket I feel two hands gently grab my waist, "No goodnight kiss?" I hear Max say in the cutest voice. I laugh and turn to face him. He pulls me closer and gently kisses me. As we pull apart he immediately pulls me closer again. I laugh, "Max. What are you doing?" He kisses me again, "What can I not kiss my beautiful girlfriend?" I laugh and push myself away. "I'm going to bed." "Fine" Max laughs as he lays down on his bed. I turn out the lights and go to bed.

I'm standing outside at recess. I look around, Skylee is in front of me, I can't move. I start puking up blue blood. My mom appears out of nowhere and hugs Skylee. She looks at me, eyes full of anger, "Kill her." I hear Max scream, "SALLY!!!" Black.

"Sally!" I bolt up in a panic and look around. "Sally, are you ok?" I look over and see Max looking at me panicked. I try to slow my breathing, "I'm fine, bad dream." Max slides into bed next to me. "Are you sure you're ok?" I turn to face him, "I'm fine. I promise." He grabs my waist and pulls me closer, "Well looks like I'm gonna have to protect you from those nightmares." He has an adorable smile on his face. I laugh and snuggle into his side, "Looks like you will." He slowly rubs my side and I slip into unconsciousness.

We wake up to Max's alarm. I try to sit up but Max groans and pulls me back down. "Why did you set the alarm for five?" Max mumbles. "To go to school, I have to go home and get my stuff." I manage to squeeze through Max's grasp and get my phone off its charger. Max groans and gets up, "I'll go get my parents." And in about 15 minutes we're outside my house. I take a deep breath and walk inside.

As soon as I step inside the air seems to shift. It's almost like someone died in here. I'm immediately put on edge as I walk up the stairs to my room. I open the door to my room and walk in, everything's normal. I get dressed and grab my school stuff, I'll have a lazy day today. I go to walk downstairs but I get an overwhelming urge to check my mom's room. I don't know why but whatever. I walk over to her door and place my hand on the doorknob. I hesitate, what's wrong with me? It's just a door. Worst comes to worst she gets mad at me. Wouldn't be anything new. I take a deep breath and open the door.

I scream. My mom is on the floor in her blue dress covered in blood, she has multiple stab wounds in her stomach and chest. A bloody knife is in her right hand.

She's dead.