Chapter 27

Before I can react I go flying. I land not even ten feet from a nearby tree. "Max!" I hear Lexi scream. I push myself up. I see Lexi and Addie throwing spells left and right. I clench the knife in my right hand. I wish I could help more, why am I so weak and useless? No, I can't think of it now. I shake my thoughts away and sneak behind Addie as she's distracted with Lexi. I jump up behind her and stab her through the throat. Addison gasps for air and for a second I panic. Di- did I really just kill someone? "Max duck!" Lexi yells and I immediately jump out of the way. I bright blue spell hits Addison square in the chest. She screams for a second before she freezes in place. She doesn't even blink. "That won't hold her for long, let's go!" I nod and follow Lexi to the front door. I'm a dumbass. I know stab wounds won't kill witches. So why did I think I killed her? "Remember," Lexi says, "If I say run, run." I roll my eyes, "Remember, I'm not leaving you behind." Lexi sighs but I can see a faint smile on her lips, "Let's go We can't waste any more time." Lexi opens the door and we charge into the old cabin.

We enter the room and face Skylee, still sitting on the couch with Sally's head in her lap. Sally looks so peaceful. Her eyes are closed and she has a content look on her face. Usually in her sleep she jerks and twitches. Sometimes whispering, talking, and occasionally screaming. But here she's completely still except for her breathing. Her long golden hair falls gracefully off the couch. She was still wearing the black sweatshirt and black booty-shorts she was in the last time I saw her. When she found me in the closet. Skylee giggles, "Oh course, the heroine's little friends come to rescue her from the evil villian. Seems a little cliche don't you think?" Skylee moves her hand and starts running her hand through Sally's hair. "What do you guys even plan to do to me? I come from a line of the most evil and powerful witches. No apprentice or little boy with a knife can take me down." Apprentice? I look over to Lexi. Her face is beet-red. She glances over to me for a second. "Oh she didn't tell you? She's still in training. She ain't as powerful as you think." Skylee bursts out into laughter. "Enough! Give Sally back!" Lexi screams but Skylee keeps laughing. "This keeps getting even more cliche! What do you think I'll be like 'awww okay...' and hand her over?!" Lexi's eyes narrow before she shoots a stream of fire. Skylee yelps but before she can react it goes a few inches past her face into the fireplace behind her. "Ha!" Skylee laughs, "You missed! Can't even land a hit?" "Not quite." Lexi sneers. Suddenly the rug under the sofa catches on fire. Skylee screams as she turns into a green ball of light and enters into Sally's head. "Max quick!" Lexi nods towards Sally and I run over and grab her. Holding her in my arms we run out of the building. Lexi grabs onto my shoulder once we're a few feet away from the burning house, "Hold your breath." "what?-" But before I can finish my thought, suddenly I feel heavy and my world is spinning. I shut my eyes and clutch onto Sally making sure I don't drop her. After what feels like five minutes the feeling goes away. I open my eyes and we're by the car. Lexi laughs, "You're so pale! I told you to hold your breath, it usually helps." "Well next time tell me what you're about to do..." I mumble as I climb into the back of the car. I lay Sally down and sit in the far right seat. Her head lays in my lap and I comb my fingers through her hair. I give her a small kiss on the head.

I missed you.