Chapter 20

When Max and I reach his door, I keep walking towards the bathroom. Max grabs my hand, "Where are you going?" "Bathroom." Not only do I actually need to go, but I also have a change of clothes in there. Max pulls me closer to him, "Ok, you can go... after." Fuck. I walk into Max's room and he closes the door behind me. "Take off the sweater." I could just teleport, just pray no one is near the bathroom. No, that's too risky. I can't think of a possible way I can get out of this. I look away from Max. Max walks up to me, "Sally come on, I can already tell something happened." I sigh and unzip my sweater. Revealing the rip in my shirt and the mark. "Sally..." Max sighs as he tries to hug me. But I push him away and head to the bathroom.

Max and I walk back into his room with some of the boxes. We went to my house, well I guess my old house, to get my stuff. It's now 7 at night. Max has been giving me weird looks all day, I just want today to be over. I set down the boxes and fill up the air mattress. "I'm going to bed," I say as I leave to change. When I come back Max is already in bed, back to me. I lay with my back to him on my air mattress, and fall asleep in seconds.

I'm standing in front of Skylee at recess. She smiles, "Why do you always fight death?" I glare at her before puking what seems like an ocean of blue blood. I look up to see my mom walking to Skylee. She is covered in blood, still wearing the blue dress I found her in. Her tear streaks are still clearly visible on her face. Her eyes are bloodshot and she looks like she hasn't slept in days, however, she's wearing the brightest smile I've ever seen anyone wear. She gives Skylee a hug and she glares at me. "Kill her," she says as she looks away from me. "SALLY!!!!" I hear Max scream behind me. Black.

I bolt up in a cold sweat. I wipe the tears from my eyes and look around the room.

Max isn't in bed.

I jump up and open the door, the bathroom light is off and the door is open. I close the door and start to panic. Maybe he's just getting water downstairs? I walk to the other side of his bed to see if he just rolled out.

Not there.

I check under the bed.

Not there.

I check the closet.

Max jumps as I open the closet door. I take a step back. There's a knife in his right hand, his sleeve is rolled up revealing the cuts on his left arm. Max grabs his sleeve and pulls it down, "S-S-Sally, w-what are you doing up?" I sigh and nod my head to the bed. Max gets up and walks to the bed leaving the knife behind. We both sit down and I give him a hug, "You need to stop."

"You're one to talk, you stabbed yourself, twice."

"Doesn't mean you should."

"I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is you need to stop too."

"I know I do, but I'm more worried about you."

"Why?"

"Cause you can die from it, I can't."

"Still leaves a mark and is still bad."

"The mark goes away in a few hours, and what if you accidentally cut too deep?"

Max goes silent. I let go and pull back, "We both need to stop." Max nods his head. He looks like he wants to say something. "What's wrong?" Max sighs, "I don't know if you realize, but you talk in your sleep. I can't make out what you're saying though. And you twitch. Like really bad. It's kinda scary. Are you ok?" I sigh. I don't want to scare him. Or worry him. He already has enough to think about. I stand up and lean against the closet door. Curse him. What? No. I'm not going to- CURSE HIM. NO. I get a piercing headache. My hand starts to move on its own. I can't- I need to teleport. I use all my willpower. "Sally?" Is all I hear before I teleport away.