Chapter 24: Max's View

M: Sally no! We'll all be in danger!

I don't want you to get hurt!

I send the last text knowing it's too late. She signed off. I bite my lip. "FUCK" I scream as I punch the wall. I put my phone in my pocket and walk past the guys looking at me wide-eyed as I walk out of the bathroom. School just let out. After meeting up with Lexi and Bre at recess I'm even more terrified we won't find her. Lexi made me realize how hard it is to find a witch that doesn't want to be found. And how dire our situation is. If we don't find her in time the world is pretty much dead. Skylee will take over Sally's body, killing her. Then she'll go on to take control. Of everything. Life as we know it will end. Honestly, sometimes it feels like I'm the main character in a book with a stereotypical "save the world" goal but here we are. I walk out to carline. I start walking towards the parking lot where Lexi told me to meet her. Finally I see Lexi and Bre sitting on top of an old beat down car. They wave me over and climb off the car. "Where did you get a car from? Can you even drive?" I ask as I set my bag in the car next to Bre's. Lexi giggles mischievously, "Am I old enough? Nope. Do I care? Nope. I got a fake ID. I know how don't worry." That didn't answer the where question... "The car was my mom's." Bre says reading my mind. I look up at her. She looks great. But behind the fake face I can tell she's hurting. Poor thing. I open up my arms inviting her for a hug. She gives me a sad smile and hugs me. "I'm sorry." I say. Bre just nodded her head.

After a few minutes we pull up to an apartment complex. "Does your mom live here?" I ask. Lexi nodded her head, "However she's across state training a baby witch. His parents thought it was a good idea to awaken his powers at 3." Lexi chuckles as she parks the car, "Dumbasses." We grab our bags and walk into the building. I enter Lexi's apartment. I feel my knife in my bad hit against my back and I clench my left fist. "I need to use the bathroom," I mumble as I walk into the bathroom. I set my bag on the floor and take out my knife. I put it in my mouth as I roll up my left sleeve. Sally told me not to but- I cut my wrist. Blood seeps down my arm and drips onto the floor. I want her back so bad. Cut. I flashback to our first kiss. Cut. To when she fell asleep in my arms. Cut. That poor girl has been through so much. I need to be there for her. To support her. I continue cutting. With each cut, I feel a little less anxious. Finally, I'm relaxed. I do one last cut and wipe off the blade. I put it in my bag. I flush the toilet as I clean up the blood. Looking in the mirror, I wash my arm and roll down my sleeve. Good as new.

I walk out and meet Lexi and Bre in the living room. "How would she cross into another state?" "Well can't witches teleport?" "That would take an astronomical amount of power. On top of that, she's using a cloaking spell. She has to be in state." I sit down next to Lexi, "So how are we gonna find her?" Lexi sighs, "We either have to find her on foot or wait for her to lift the cloaking spell." I look back at the map, "Well that's easier said than done but it's possible." "What are you talking about!?" Bre stands up, slamming her hands on the table, "Even if she's in a state that's still a WHOLE STATE we have to search. By ourselves." "No, not the whole state." I turn towards Lexi, "You have to picture exactly what a place looks like to teleport there, correct?" Lexi nods, and I continue, "Okay, so that means she'll most likely be in this area..." I take a red expo and draw a circle around the part of town Sally spent most of her time on the laminated map. Lexi leans over the map, "This narrows our search a lot." She points to the woods, "Wouldn't this make more sense? Like, the rest are near main roads." Bre sighs, "That means we're one step closer to finding her." I look outside the window and see a flock of birds flying in the distance. I'll find you, Sally.

No matter what.