Chapter 12

Couple of days had passed by, and Maheen and Adam had just talked in the phone. Both of them avoiding talking about what happened the other night. Shyness overtook and their conversation simply stuck to the debate discussions.

********

Sitting at the back of the car Adam at one side of the window and Maheen at another with their English Professor in the front seat and a driver, they all headed off for the debate competition to their competitors school. Maheen looking outside recited a small and quick prayer for their journey and success. Adam on the other hand was a bit intense. This was the first time they had seen each other after the other night, and Maheen honestly did not expect him to be the way he was behaving currently. 

Adam on the other hand tried to hide his face as much as possible without giving away the redness and tiredness in his eyes from the incident that had taken place in his home this morning. He looked at Maheen from the corner of his eyes, and he just wanted to grab her and cry, but he knew he had to hold it together for the debate, but mainly he did not know where they stood with each other. Maheen had not looked him in the eyes, nor had he dared to.

**********

It was finally the day for the debate and Adam had been beyond prepared for this day. His enthusiasm was seen in his eagerness to get dressed and leave for school. Hardly did he know that he would be faced with one of the worst mornings ever. 

As he got dressed and and headed towards the door, he was met with his mom at the bottom of the stairs. She was tearing up and with a cracked up voice she said, "Adam, I was just coming to find you, please come hurry, it's your grandmother."

He did not think about anything, he dropped hi bag and ran towards the room. He thought of the worst thing that could have happened. But as he entered the room, he saw his servants surrounded the bed and Ashley was there sitting beside her grandmother. He came to take a closer look and saw that grandma was still breathing and her eyes were open, she was shouting on the servants, "I am okay! Leave me!"

I turned tk my mother confused, why was she crying?

I moved a little but more closer and found my grandma was bleeding. Her head was cracked open and her leg was broken.

"Ambulance is on its way." His mom told him without even looking at him.

There was a chaos in the room when the ambulance arrived. The attendant started asking question, "What happened hear ma'am?"

"Umm, she was in the room, and I had come to check on her and give her breakfast, but she was not in the bed, she usually doesn't go to the washroom by herself, but when I saw, she was lying on the ground in a pool of blood. I shouted for help, but she gained consciousness I guess by then." My mom finished describing the whole incident and that's when the attendant spoke again, "It's okay ma'am, don't worry we will take good care of her. Now only one person can join us in the ambulance, if the rest of you wish to come, you need to come in your own vehicle."

Before even the attendant could finish his statement, Ashley shouted, "I will go in the ambulance." My mom knew how close she and grandma were, so she did not protest. 

My father was on a business trip and trying to get back with the first flight out. So the whole responsibility fell on me. I could not make it to the school, I just hoped I could reach in time for the debate. 

********

It was concerning to Maheen, when she could not see Adam in the school or in any class. 

She headed to speak to the English professor in the last lesson, as they were supposed to leave immediately after. 

"Sir, I don't think Adam, is in the school yet. Do we still head for the competition?"