There's Nothing Like a Mad Woman

Anakin didn't come to see them the next day. Padmé berated herself for falling for his words again. She was weighing her options, her children being the top priority. She could pretend to faint so they'd open the cell and the kids could run. She could even try to get her husband to trust her, and escape when he wasn't watching. Which ever path she chose was going to be difficult.

A stormtrooper appeared in front of the cell, holding a pile of fabrics and distracting her from her thinking.
"A delivery from Lord Vader." He told her, placing them on the ground before exiting the cell and reigniting the lasers. He hurried off as Padmé stared at the pile. She picked it up, surprised at the strange weight. It was barely noticeable from view, but she could feel that there was something in between the blankets. She glanced around for more guards before unfolding them. Inside was her blaster that had been taken when they were captured.
She tucked it into her belt hidden under her tunic for safe keeping.

——

Luna was especially fussy that night, almost as if she could sense the tension in the air. Padmé struggled to get her to sleep for more than a half hour at a time. By the time Luna actually fell into a deep sleep, it had been hours. Padmé suspected it was now the morning, but that was only a guess. She lay Luna down in her crate and tried to get some sleep for herself.

It wasn't long before she was awoken by footsteps. The twins were already awake and stood over the crate, as if protecting their little sister from the intruders. Two stormtroopers appeared in their view and Padmé quickly stood up.
"The emperor requests your presence. All of you."

——

The baby was cradled to her chest, sitting snuggly in the sling and fast asleep. The family walked into a large room where Palpatine was waiting for them.

He ignored Padmé and looked at the twins.
"How are you children?"
Luke looked away but Leia just glared at him.
"Do not address them." Padmé said sternly, moving to stand in front of them.
"Fine,then you must answer my questions." He told her.

Padmé hesitated before gently lifting the sling over her head and putting Luna in Leia's arms. She gave the two seven year olds a reassuring look before she turned around to face Palpatine.
"Tell me milady, where are the rest of the rebels?" He asked coldly. Padmé stood tall, tilting her chin up.
"I have no idea who you are talking about."
"Don't lie to me, Lady Vader." He sneered.
"Even if I knew, I would never tell you." She said defiantly.
"Anger is not a good look for you milady."
Palpatine watched her for a moment before she was flung across the room. Padmé hit the wall with a groan and crumpled to the floor. She heard Luke and Leia cry out for her and pulled herself up painfully. Palpatine had moved closer to the children, peering down at the sleeping baby.

"My, my. Isn't she a deep sleeper." He mused. Padmé stood up taller, full of rage.
"You think I'm angry now? Do not wake up my baby!" She pulled her blaster out and aimed it at him.
Palpatine looked surprised for a second, but quickly recovered his evil grin and moved closer to her.
"You have been a thorn in my side ever since you arrived at the senate." He spat. Padmé clenched her blaster before she shot him in the arm and he recoiled in pain.
"Glad I made such an impression." She sassed.
"I see you still haven't learnt when to shut your mouth!" He sneered, pulling himself back up.
Before she could retort, a familiar pain seized her body. The electricity shot through her as she struggled to keep hold of her weapon. The blaster was pulled from her grip by the force and tossed across the room. Padmé fell to her knees and screamed as she tried to fight through the pain. Palpatine cackled loudly as she lay crumpled on the floor.

"No!"

And then the pain was gone. Padmé sat up as she tried to catch her breath, confused about what had happened. She looked up and saw a figure shielding her, bright red lightsaber in hand.