Sequinned Smile, Black Lipstick, Sensual Politics

Padmé stood in front of the full length mirror, smoothing out her black dress. Her hair was half pulled back in its natural curls, a thin silver band across her forehead. The white makeup on her face reminded her of her days as queen, but the red lips were replaced with black. The floor length black dress was slim fitting and difficult to move in. The only things that she had from her old life was the japor snippet hanging around her neck and her wedding ring, which she was finally able to wear in public, but was now hidden by her long black gloves. The band around her wrist was also covered.

Padmé turned her head to glance at the door that attached the room to the children's room. It was closed, and she could hear them playing with their nanny. They were as happy as any other six year olds were, blissfully unaware of the evil their parents did.

She was startled out of her daydreams by a heavy knock at the door.
"The boss is ready for you, my lady." She couldn't recognise the soldier by their voice.
"I will be right there." She responded. She altered her old Queen Amidala voice to fit her new persona.
She tucked her blaster into the strap around her leg, checking that it felt secure, and opened the door. A stormtrooper stood waiting for her. Without a word, he escorted her down the hallway.

They turned a corner and her husband appeared, wearing the black robotic armour he wore in public. He took her hand in his, leading her the rest of the way towards the door.
"You look beautiful, my lady." He spoke in the breathless voice.
"Thank you, my love." Padmé responded, schooling her face into a neutral expression. How badly she longed to take off his helmet and see his eyes. Before they could say anything else, the door opened and they were being announced to the crowd.

"Please welcome, Lord and Lady Vader."
Polite applause filled the room as the couple walked in, her steps as graceful as a queen and his strong and radiating power.

When everyone returned to their previous activities, Vader guided her to a group of men she hadn't seen before. The leader bowed as they approached.
"Ah, Lady Vader. It's a pleasure to finally meet the boss's better half,"
Padmé smiled nervously. This man must be close to Vader if he was teasing him like that. Or he had a death wish.
"The pleasure is all mine gentlemen," she said before her husband could say anything.
"General, I hear you have received new information about the rebels?" Her husband asked.
"Yes, Lord Vader. However, I don't think this topic would be of much interest to your wife,"
Padmé opened her mouth to defend herself, but Vader jumped in.
"I would watch your mouth. My wife is one of the most intelligent in the galaxy, I'm sure she has plenty of insight to provide." He snapped.
"Of course, my apologies." The man stuttered a bit before pulling himself together.
"I have a reliable source that claims to have seen Kenobi on Tatooine. This message was intercepted right after the sighting. We managed to catch it, but it is written in some kind of code."
Padmé felt her heart jump into her throat. That message might have been for her.
"Have they managed to decode it?" Padmé asked.
"Not yet, my Lady."
"Would you mind if I had a look? I learnt quite a lot about ancient codes in my day." She offered.
The man glanced at Vader, who nodded, before pulling a piece of paper out of his pocket and handing it to her.
"Of course, my Lady."
Padmé took the paper in her gloved hand, nodding in thanks.

——

The couple walked around and spoke to different groups, many of which Padmé hadn't met. She felt the folded paper against her skin from where she had stored it in her bra, itching to be analysed. Luckily, a glance at a nearby holopad gave her an excuse to leave.

"It's the children's bedtime, are you coming?" She asked her husband, tugging gently on his arm.
"Not now, Padmé, I need to speak to my master." And he left before she could respond. Padmé hid her disappointment and turned her attention back to the men they were talking to.
"If you'll excuse me," she dipped into a bow before strutting out of the room.