chapter twenty-three

IN EVE'S DRUNKEN HAZE, SHE WAS ABLE to push aside all her overthinking and thoughts about her not belonging with the crowd she was at the club with, that she was such a phony to be in Timothée's arms, that she didn't deserve any of it. The few rum and cokes she had as well as the seemingly endless supply of shirley temples shut up her thoughts, allowing her to only focus on the current moment, which was dancing in a packed club with Timothée Chalamet. Her rightfully gained boyfriend who just happened to be of celebrity status, she had to think to push down those deep thoughts.

His hands distracted her from her thoughts as well, running down her sides and gripping her hips, holding her tightly against him as they danced to whatever electronic music was playing. He kissed her as they danced, sometimes on the lips and other times on her neck and collarbone where a little bit of skin peeked out of her shirt. She held onto him close, worrying that if she lost her grasp on him that she would lose him in the packed club. They had lost all their friends already, but sometimes Eve would get a glimpse of Nadine and Giullian having a good time in the corner with some of the other guys Timmy invited. None of them mattered though in that moment, all that mattered was the way Eve felt electrified anytime Timmy kissed her skin.

She sighed as his lips left her neck and went back up to her lips, a messy quick kiss before whispering in her ear, "Wanna go sit down?"

Eve nodded, his hands moving from her hips to her hands, pulling her through the crowd until he reached Saoirse who sat at the bar. "Looks like you two had fun," She said with a cheeky grin resting on her face. She took a sip of her drink and looked between the disheveled couple. "I'd be out there with you guys if someone hadn't stomped on my foot two seconds in."

The moment the group had arrived, the club was already getting packed but there was space for them all to stay together. Saoirse and Eve were dancing together, singing along to Cardi B and hopping around until Timmy decided to join them. Saoirse hadn't noticed him sneak up behind her and while she was hopping, his chunky sneaker accidentally stomped on her boot hard. So she decided to sit some of the night out, enjoying her obnoxious margarita while people watching. Timmy chuckled at the mention of him stomping on her, patting her shoulder as she glared up at him. "I'm sorry, Saoirse!"

"Better be," She replied. She tapped the bar stool beside her and indicated for Eve to sit down. "Were we taking the party back to your place or do we want to split off after this?"

Eve's eyes widened, rubbing her face and trying to get the drunkenness out of her. She felt like everything had slowed down the moment she sat next to Saoirse. "You can always come back to my place with Nadine, but I don't know if I'm.... functional enough to continue tonight." She said slowly, Timmy's arm wrapped around her shoulder. The comfort of his arm made him feel all warm inside.

Saoirse nodded along, "I'd love to see your place. You've really spruced up Timmy's."

"His used to be so boring and sad," Eve added with a grin. She waved down one of the bartenders and asked for a water, then turned back to Saoirse. "I called his house sad bachelor-core."

"That's exactly it!" Saoirse laughed. "At least now you've made it feel more lived in."

Eve's water arrived and she chugged it quickly, feeling like she would fall over if she didn't get hydrated. "It wasn't all me though, Timmy added some stuff."

Timmy flicked her in the shoulder, "I did more than some."

"Alright, he had some good ideas but didn't know how to execute them." Eve finished her glass of water and rubbed her face again. "My place is very much ecclectic art gal who doesn't spend her money rationally."