Chapter 3

Ryan had been traveling for over a day now. Within that time he had found a few cans of beans and fruit, a few bottles of waters, and a nice machete he used to gut random zombies so that he can spread their musty smell on him. Ryan was exhausted, and felt ready to give up and head back home. He could always try again in a couple more days. At least he had found enough food and water to support himself for a couple of more days.

    When Ryan was just about to head back to his house, sound made him pause, glancing over his shoulder. Suddenly a scream erupted from a few blocks away, and he didn't even hesitate. Ryan took off running towards the sound, breathing heavily as he excepted his already low stamina. He hadn't seen another survivor in so long, and if it truly was another survivor then Ryan would do anything to help them. Even if they would hurt him afterwards.

     When he reached where the sound originated he found zombies swarming a locked gate of a nice two story house, desperately trying to get to the other side. Ryan reached in his pocket and found a vial, something that he had made for emergencies before leaving. It was a safety procaution in case he got surrounded, and held a small amount of blood in it. Once smashed the smell would be let out, and zombies would immediately swarm the broken vial.

     Ryan did so now, and threw it a bit farther away from the gate and himself. Once smashed the zombies had an ethereal response, and charged like running bulls over to where the vial had oozed out blood. Ryan took his chance and ran over to the steel 5ft high gate, grabbing the top and hopping over in one fluid motion. What he saw below himself chilled his heart, and almost shattered his hope.