Chapter 7

Ryan stood anxiously as he waited for the group to speak, feeling really awkward at the gawking stares he had accumulated from the group. He couldn't keep himself from continuously glancing towards Gale, his pretty boy friend who he had accumulated a crush on during high school. He had gotten hotter and more mature like over the last three years. His black hair gleamed in the sunlight, complimenting his green eyes which seemed to glow against the setting red sun. Gale was just as surprised as the rest as he stared at Ryan, causing Ryan to be even more squirmy.

     Finally someone spoke, and it had been Gale calling his name. That really didn't help Ryan's pounding heart. Ryan nodded in response, preparing his voice as he went to speak.

     "Hi. It's nice to see you guys." Well that was lame. Three years of not seeing each other and the best thing you could come up with was hi? Way to go Ryan.

     Amber was the first one to move, approaching Ryan swiftly. Ryan was surprised as Amber threw her arms around him and squeezed him tightly. He could here soft sobs coming from the girl as she buried her face into his chest. Ryan returned the hug gratefully, and soon he was surrounded by all of his friends.

     The love he was being shown at his appearance made his heart remember the gap Lena had made even more, and he felt like tears would come any minute as he sniffled. Patrick rubbed his head as he beamed down at Ryan. "We're so glad you're alive! And that we found each other! You really saved us back there." He said.

     Amber pitched in as well to Patrick's words. "I would be dead if it wasn't for you, thank you so much Ryan."

     Ryan blushed at the words and looked down, feeling happy at the praise.

"And when did you get so tall!" Amber continued. Ryan chuckled at her words as he had been shorter than her in high school, but it had turned out that his growth squirt was just late. He was still shorter than Gale and Tyler, but at least he was the same height as Patrick now. His happiness died down as he realized he needed to tell all of his friends the news of Lena, and pain filled his heart. He felt discomfort as he addressed them all, a frown showing on his face.

     "I really didn't do much. It was Lena that asked me to help you guys."

     "Really!" Patrick pitched in with excitement. "Where is she? Is she waiting for us somewhere?"

     Ryan felt severe discomfort and pain as he realized he needed to tell Patrick that the girlfriend he had loved and adored so much was now dead. Ryan's silence seemed heavy on the group, and Patrick's excitement died down as horror replaced his features.

     "I'm sorry Patrick." Ryan responded solemly.

     "No. No. You can't be serious. But how? How? Weren't you there?! What happened!" Patrick gripped Ryan's arms as he shook him. Ryan felt scared as he tried to back off from Patrick, grateful when Gale stepped in. He pushed Patrick away from Ryan as he stood between the two.

    "Calm down! Let him speak."

     "I can't calm down! He's telling me that Lena's dead. She can't be... she just can't." Patrick broke down in sobs as he dropped to the ground, anguish filling him as he let out his pent up emotions.

     Gale looked over to Ryan with eyes that seemed dead, and Ryan knew that he had taken the news hard. "Please explain Ryan."

     And that's exactly what Ryan did. He explained everything from him finding her wounded to her telling him about paradise. The group took it hard as he explained that she had asked him to protect them all, and last of all he explained her last words for Patrick.

     It seemed to cause Patrick to let out a guttural scream in pain, and he was inconsolable as he cried.