Chapter 16

Gale stood amongst his friends as they anxiously waited for Ryan to return. They kept a look out for any stray zombies, trying to stay viligant. Gale had been speaking to Amber when he heard a loud gunshot sound out in the air.

     Immediately, each of them were all tense as they looked over to the supermarket. The shot was quickly followed by others, and they all looked on in dread as all of the zombies outside of the market began to swarm inside.

     Gale started to run forward, gripping his knife as he ran towards the entrance. He heard steps behind him and new the others were following behind him.

"Harper!" He shouted behind himself. "Start the car and get ready to drive off! We might need to leave in a hurry!" Harper stopped running forward and made her way back to the car, doing what Gale said as she watched in worry as the rest ran towards the entrance.

     Gale felt panicked as he looked at the huge swarm, feeling helpless as he killed the first zombie he came up too. The zombies were completely ignoring them as they cut them down, yet the sheer amount didn't even make a dent in the zombie piles. Gale sliced and sliced, feeling pain in his heart as he thought of Ryan getting torn apart by zombies.

     He felt hopelessness fill him when more shots were sounded. His eyes widened with heartfelt relief as he caught sight of a head of brown hair fighting his way to the entrance. They all worked on the zombies surrounding the entrance as Ryan drew closer to them, and relief filled Gale as Ryan finally broke through. He realized Ryan wasn't looking at him, as he had stretched out his hand to grab onto Ryan's, but behind himself. A rotten hand had gripped Ryan's arm, and now yanked him backwards and onto the ground amongst the crowd of zombies.

     Gale hollered as he tried to get to Ryan, and he heard a painful scream echo in the air before him. He cut down all of the zombies around him, and shots fired in the air as Ryan continued to desperately struggle for his life. As they all worked to cut down the zombies they were able to make a small space to Ryan, and Gale scooped Ryan's small and tattered frame up and into his arms.

     They took off running back to the car, zombies following close behind them. The doors were already open thanks to Harper's thought out thinking and they tumbled into the car, Harper slamming the gas as they shot forward.

     Each of them huffed in exhaustion as they wiped their sweat off. They gathered and looked at Ryan, who was in bad shape as he breathed unsteadily. Bites littered his body, his only clear part was his face which was probably shielded by an arm. He was unconscious, and an unhealthy hue spread on his skin.

     As Gale cradled Ryan's small body against his own, Amber worked to clean the wounds the best she could with some water and a cloth. Patrick, Harper, and Tyler were talking amongst each other as they looked for a place to camp at, that would be clear of zombies and be comfortable enough that Ryan would be able to stay and take time to recuperate.

     Luckily it only took them five minutes to find a small one story house that didn't look to be in bad shape, and after Tyler and Patrick cleared the place of zombies Gale moved Ryan inside, placing him onto the bed. The others went to searching the house for food and medicine as Gale and Amber tried to nurse Ryan's wounds.

     Gale removed Ryan's heavy backpack, realizing that tons of canned foods filled the bag. If only they hadn't sent him to get food...

Gale shook his head of the guilt as he set the bag over to the side, going to help Amber as she removed Ryan's clothes. His pale body was filled with bloody patches, as bite marks were seen everywhere. Thanks to the hoodie his upper body was in better shape than his legs, but it was still bad. They left his grey underwear on as they cleaned his body, using a disinfectant and bandages that the others had found in the medicine cabinet of a bathroom.

     After Ryan was fully cleaned and wounds wrapped with bandages they dressed him in an oversized blue T-Shirt that they had found from the owner of the houses' closet. They decided not to grab pants and to leave Ryan in a shirt in an attempt to make him more comfortable. Gale tucked Ryan's unconscious form into the blankets, and sat for a while next to his side.

     He felt so guilty that Ryan had been hurt like this, and couldn't help but fear if Ryan might turn. What if the bite he got from his mom was a one time thing? What would they do if he turned?

     Gale shook his head of those horrific thoughts, deciding to focus on Ryan's peaceful sleeping form. Even hurt like this Ryan was still beautiful. Gale caught himself saying those words and rubbed his head, realizing that his words were a bit much for something between friends. He hadn't wanted to admit it, but he felt like he was now attracted to his friend.