Chapter 20

Screams erupted in the car and Ryan jolted awake, jerking his body up before he felt himself slam thrown to the side and against Gale. Gale's arms wrapped protectively around Ryan as they shielded themselves, the car skidding across the highway. The car's hood slammed into a pole and everyone in the car was knocked forward, luckily Harper had scolded each of them for not wearing a seat belt so they had all fastened them, or else some of them definitely could have died.

     Ryan got up slowly as he groaned, rubbing his head that had gotten banged into the side of the car. He looked up to see Amber and Patrick also sitting up, blood trickling from wounds they had gotten on their head and arms. Harper was leaning over and shaking Tyler who seemed passed out in the drivers seat, he had switched with Harper an hour ago.

     "What happened?" Gale asked as he coughed.

     Harper had tears in her eyes as she looked over to Gale. "A truck crashed into us. I don't- I don't know why. They just suddenly came from the side."

     Ryan looked out the window in search of the truck, finding a blue Silverado that had spun to the side. "Is it that blue Silverado?" He asked.

     Harper spun her head to look where he was pointing , nodding as she caught sight of it.

     Ryan felt dread as he looked back at the others. "The driver is a zombie. Can you see it flailing around?"

     Patrick cursed as he looked over to the driver of the blue truck. "What the fuck? How is a zombie driving?" He said.

     Amber wiped off her bloody forehead as she addressed the group. "He probably just turned, maybe he was driving with a bite mark and lost control of the truck after fully turning."

     The group groaned at their terrible luck, they hadn't even been thirty minutes away from paradise and now something like this happens. Ryan looked at the air bags deployed around the car, and the hood that was now smashed to pieces. "What do we do now?" He asked.

     Before anyone could say anything in response something crashed against the side of the car, cause it to rock violently as they all turned to the side. It had come from the driver's side, and they all paled as the windows shattered. Patrick, who had been sitting behind the drivers seat, scrambled towards Amber's side as his window now had a zombie trying to crawl through.

     Harper screamed as she tried to wake Tyler, a zombie crawling through his window as well. The seatbelt made it impossible for Harper to grab him and pull him over to her side, and she screamed in frustration as the zombie took a bite into Tyler's shoulder. "No!" She screamed in anguish.

     Ryan grabbed his gun and pointed it at the zombie now next to Patrick and Amber and shot it in the head, scurrying up as he pointed the gun at the zombie attacking Tyler and shooting it in the head as well. The zombie tumbled across Tyler in a heep, dead from the shot.

     They all climbed out from the car, Harper going towards the driver side and pulling the zombie off of Tyler. She sobbed as she held Tyler's face, looking at the bite marks that lined his shoulder. The rest remained quiet until they noticed a heard of zombies approaching them, there had to be at least 30 zombies coming towards them. Most likely attracted by the overwhelming smell of blood.

     Amber was the first one to speak, putting her hand on Harper's arm as she sobbed. "Harper... we have to go before the zombies reach us."

     Harpers sobs grew louder as she looked up at the horde approaching.

     Ryan hesitated before speaking. "What if Tyler doesn't turn? Why don't we try and take him with us? We can find somewhere to stay while he heals..."

     Surprisingly it was Harper who responded to his words. Her voice was hoarse as she fought back her tears. "He's already sweating profusely, a sign of turning. He's... he's not going to make it." She said, her tone barely a whisper as she cried.

    The group was silent, Amber being the one to speak again. The zombies were drawing even closer, and she knew that they needed to go now. "I'm sorry Harper. We have to go..." Amber said as she reached out to grab Harper's hand and guide her with them.

     Harper shook off the hand as she shook her head. "I'm staying with Tyler. I can't let him go alone."

     Ryan's eyes widened at her words, and so did the others as they protested to the idea.

     "I've made up my mind!" Harper shouted. "Go! Just leave."

She attempted calmed herself as she looked up at Ryan, her eyes turning soft as she attempted a broken smile. "If they find a cure... and a way to turn us back to humans... come find us first. Okay?"

     Ryan felt tears spring to his eyes as he nodded, extending his pinky out to her to finalize the promise. It had been something special to him and Harper, as they made many promises back in high school. Harper let out a smile at the gesture and took his pinky in her own before waving them off.

     The group each in turned hugged Harper, saying their goodbyes and expressing their love. They all couldn't take it, and had became sobbing messes as they wiped their eyes. They had to take a step back as Tyler fully turned into a zombie, his hands reaching towards them as he was restricted by the seatbelt.

     The sight broke all of their hearts, and they each shook as their hearts clutched against their chests.  Soon the horde was almost upon them, and the group of friends had to leave, leaving behind Harper as she climbed back into the car with Tyler.