Chapter 9

Ryan felt embarrassed as Gale ran a hand across his scar in wonder, the others close behind him as they stared at the scar. It was quite big, and had been extremely deep when it first happened. The scar reflected the pain as the skin became discolored and uneven.

"I can't believe this." Tyler said. The rest nodded in agreement as they all stared at the wound.

Ryan felt like a circus animal as he was put on the spot. Amber looked him in the eyes before addressing the rest of the group. "We have to go to paradise." She said.

The rest of them looked at her in confusion and shock, but she continued before the could say anything. "What if he's the secret to a cure? We all know that this isn't right. He should have turned after being bitten... We should have him checked out by professionals."

The rest seemed hesitant, but surprisingly it was Patrick that spoke up first. "I agree." He said.

That seemed to shock the rest of them as they looked at Patrick as if he had sprouted another head. "I know I was against it before. But Lena wanted to go so bad... if I had just agreed to go with her..."

Ryan felt obliged as Lena's messenger and Patrick's friend to comfort him, and set his hand on Patrick's shoulder. "She wouldn't blame you Patrick. She knows that leaving by herself was dangerous, it was her decision. It doesn't mean we can't feel sadness over what happened, or slight guilt that we could have stopped it in someway, I just don't want you to blame yourself. It wasn't your fault." Patrick looked at Ryan in surprise, before embracing him as he sobbed onto his shoulder. Ryan patted his small back gently, relieved that he was able to help in some way, if only a little bit.

Patrick finished his small outburst quickly, rubbing his eyes as he backed up in embarrassment. "It really is good to have you back Ryan." He said.

Ryan felt happy as he smiled at the words, wiping away his own tears as he studied the group. They each had resolve on their faces as they seemed to have came to a decision.

"I'm going to paradise. Are you guys coming with me?" Ryan asked.

The group all nodded, hope shining in their once distraught faces. The only thing they had left in this world was friendship and hope, and it was the two things Ryan would fight desperately to keep.