Chapter 21

Harper looked over at the grappling Tyler, his sunken expression leaving a tear in her heart. She remembered how she had first met him, and fell in love with the gentle and kind man he was. She had been a loner since middle school, and when she reached high school it had been the same.

     It all changed after Tyler had found her crying outside the school during a class hour.

     "Are you skipping?" He had asked.

     Harper had dried off her eyes as she looked at him, unable to hide her sarcasm. "What else do you think this is if it's not skipping."

     Tyler seemed to like her sarcasm as he grinned and set himself down beside her. "Well I guess I'll skip too then."

     Harper had looked at him in curiosity, not even realizing that her tears had stopped.

     "I'm Tyler." The boy had introduced himself as.

     "I'm Harper." She had said back.

     They sat in silence until Tyler brought out a comic book, Harper immediately recognized the cover. "Oh my goodness, you like that series too?!"

     Tyler looked at her in surprise, nodding in response.

     "I thought no one knew of that series. It's just so good!" Harper exclaimed.

     The two ended up talking about the series for the rest of the hour, finally stopping when the bell rang for lunch.

Tyler had stood and looked down at her, Harper finally realizing just how beautiful the boy in front of her was. He was definitely of Asian decent, she later learned it was Philippine, and his black hair swayed gently under the brewing storm. He reached his hand down as a smile coated his face.

      "Do you want to sit with my friends during lunch?" Tyler had asked.

     Harper had nodded as she grinned, gripping his hand as she was led into their current group of friends, never feeling lonely again.

     Harper reached her hand over to the squirming Tyler. Her eyes were red as she placed her hand against his cheek. She winced in pain as he reached over and bit her hand. She tried to keep a smile on her face, as she looked into his empty eyes. She loved him so much. She could never leave this man.

     She felt herself start sweating as the virus made its way into her body, moving closer to Tyler as she hugged him. She felt another painful bite on her neck, but ignored it as she snuggled against his chest. She couldn't help the tears that filled her eyes as she slowly felt her consciousness fade, gripping tightly against the love of her life as her own life drained away.