Chapter 17

Pain was the first thing Ryan felt as he came to his senses. He winced as he laid still, trying to get the pain to die down, but unfortunately it wouldn't go away. He opened his eyes and squinted at the sudden bombardment of sunlight, looking to the side to avoid the bright light.

As he turned over he came face to face with Gale, who was laying in the bed beside him. Ryan was surprised to see him sleeping next to him, even more surprised when he realized Gale was holding tightly onto his hand. He felt a blush creep onto his face, trying to avoid the embarrassment by going to sit up before wincing in pain. Ryan decided it was best not to sit up for now.

He laid awake for a while, waiting for Gale to wake up before doing anything. After about 30 minutes Gale arose from his sleep, sitting up as his rubbed his eyes. He looked down at Ryan and looked surprised as his eyes met Ryan's. Gale paused for a moment, before quickly putting his hand against Ryan's forehead. "You're awake! I'm so glad. How are you feeling? Does it hurt too bad? Do you have a fever still? Oh! It seems like the fever is gone!" Gale rushed on happily.

Ryan blushed at the sudden skin on skin contact as he continued to stay still, enjoying Gale's worrying over him. "I'm fine. It hurts, but the pain isn't too bad." He said in response to Gale's questions.

The door to the bedroom swung open and the rest of his friends came in, curious about the sudden noise. Everyone exclaimed in joy when they saw Ryan awake. Amber walked up to him as she threw her hands around him, careful not to touch the wounds. It was a little awkward as Ryan was still laying down, but it still worked. Ryan heard some sniffles as she buried her head gently into his neck. "I'm so glad you're alright. I was so worried dumbass!"

Ryan affectionately patted Amber with his left hand after realizing his right hand was still a little preoccupied by Gale. He felt that it was a little odd, and made a mental note to ask Gale the reason why later. The others expressed their concerns and happiness at his recovery, and Ryan basked in the warm-hearted atmosphere before the question he had been dreading finally came. It came from a still worried Gale.

"How did you end up in that situation?" He asked.

Ryan licked his dry lips before going into detail, explaining the entire story to them. Their faces looked horrified as they learned about the existence of a talking zombie that had purposely tried to kill Ryan. It was too alienistic, and a horrifying prospect for humanity.

Shocked silence had filled the room after Ryan finished, and he could feel a comforting squeeze from Gale on his right hand, which ended up causing Ryan to blush slightly. He would really need to speak to Gale about personal space after this, or else Ryan might get his hopes up to much.

Tyler ended up speaking first. "Let's hope we don't run into something like that again. We'll definitely need to tell the doctors at paradise about this."

They all agreed to his words and ended up shifting their conversation to their next plans, deciding to stay in the house for another week to give Ryan time to heal. They had apparently found a little bit of food and a bunch of water in the house, which worked perfectly for their provisions. Once they leave in a week it would only take them about 6 hours to reach paradise.

Out of all the talk of plans none of them spoke about the possibility of if paradise was fake. They couldn't take the possibility of it. It would simply break their hearts.