Chapter 13

Ryan was softly shaken awake, and he groggily raised his head up as he ended up face to face with Gale. He realized he was too close and was startled fully awake as he swished his head backwards. Ryan blushed as he realized he had been cuddled next to Gale as he slept, trying to hide his embarrassment behind his hand as he apologized.

     Ryan missed the faint blush that coated Gale's own face as he raised himself up and out of the car, joining the others as they stood on the mostly deserted road. A supermarket was in front of them, and it was where most of the zombies had coagulated to. Ryan took a deep gulp as he realized he would need to get pass the huge swarm of zombies to get the food that they needed.

     As his friends studied the group of zombies in fear he decided to speak up first. "I'll go alone. I'm used to skipping pass huge groups of zombies, and I know what to do to cover my scent fully."

     They all disagreed with him, Gale most of all as he shook his head, his eyebrows furrowed. "No. It's way to dangerous to go alone."

    Ryan sighed as he looked at Gale. "How does having others go with me make it any less dangerous? Going alone is way less of a risk. The only way to make this less dangerous is to not do it at all, but we need the food. None of the gas stations will have anything, since they have already been ransacked long ago. We have to loot somewhere big to actually get anything of worth." Ryan finished his spill in one breath and looked confidently at the others. "I can do this."

     The others still looked hesitant, Amber being the next one to speak. "Please be careful. We rather you come back alive then get food and water. We can always try somewhere else." Ryan nodded in agreement before securing his almost empty backpack and black pistol. He left his bat in the car since it would most likely be useless in such a big group of zombies.

     Ryan saw a zombie and decided to make it his target. He walked over to it, using his knife to cut it down and then cut open the stomach. The guts he had spread yesterday was still effective but fresh guts would be safer. He spread the fresh rotten guts across his body, and when Ryan finished he took one last look back at the others, before slowly making his way towards the supermarkets' entrance.