Chapter 4

Below Ryan was a biten and bloodied body of a girl, about the same age as him of 20, with long black hair. She seemed to be fighting to breathe, as she laid sprawled on the ground. Her light blue eyes gazed up and seemed to notice him, squinting to make out his face against the harsh sun above.

Ryan recognized this girl, although he desperately wished he didn't. She had been apart of his friend group when he was still in school. Lena had been her name.

Ryan jumped from on top of the gate and approached her, getting on his knees to check her wounds. "Lena, oh my goodness. Are you okay? What happened?"

Lena coughed a little bit and looked back up at him, recognition finally settling in her eyes. "Ryan? I can't believe it... You're alive."

Ryan nodded a few times, tears filling the corner of his eyes. "Yes, I'm alive." He said as he looked at all of her wounds. Tons of bite marks littered her pale skin, she had been mauled almost to death. Ryan guessed that she had barely escaped back into the gate before the zombies ended her life.

Lena tried to sit up but failed pitifully as she plumped back down, and let out a long and drawn out sigh. "I'm dying Ryan. I'll be dead soon. I just wanted... they said that there's a paradise in the city 1200 miles from us. I wanted to find a car for the rest of the group to fit in so we could all go..." she choked on her sobs as she gripped onto Ryan's hand.

Ryan used his other hand that wasn't gripped by Lena to pat her head, running his fingers through her long black hair in an attempt to soothe her. She calmed down after a minute of crying before steadying herself once more, her breathes coming even more labored as time trickled by.

"Ryan, please go to the others. Tell them what happened... There was six of us. It was me, Tyler, Gale, Patrick, Amber, and Harper. They all miss you, we all missed you."

Ryan felt his throat close up at the names of his friends, of the people he had loved during his school years. He had given up on the thought of finding them, as they had all been at school when the zombie outbreak began. The schools were affected the worst, and virtually no one came out alive. Ryan had skipped that day because of a fever, and avoided an untimely death.

He thought about all of his friends, something that he had avoided thinking of in fear of the onslaught of emotions that would have followed.

Patrick, the only one who shared the same hobby of reading as him. He had a mocha complexion with black hair and brown eyes, same age as him. And the boyfriend of Lena, who was laying below him. How could he tell him?

Tyler, super tall athlete with black hair and almost black eyes. He was of Philippine decent. He was always kind, and helped Ryan through the toughest of times. He was dating Harper, a shy blonde haired girl with blue eyes who was like the mom of the group.

Amber, a tomboyish girl with short black hair and hazel eyes. She always stood up against bullies who bothered anyone in the group. She seemed like the backbone for them, and stopped us from fighting amongst each other.

Gale, the pretty boy with black hair and gleaming emerald green eyes. He was usually soft spoken, yet would get loud if someone insulted something he liked. He was very easy to get along with. Ryan's heart thumped at the thought of him, and couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of seeing him. He knew now, no matter what, he would go to them.