Chapter 22

The group ran and ran, not saying anything as they made their way to the paradise center. Soon they were able to see a large metal fortress walls, surrounding large buildings. Their breaths were taken away as the spotted a helicopter flying above them, going to land on one of the high buildings.

It had been true. There really was a paradise. They all moved even quicker as they ran towards the walls, hope filling them as they reached a big gate with security cameras pointing outwards. There was an intercom box on the bottom, and they all hesitated as they looked at the big red button.

Patrick was the one who walked forward, pressing it lightly as they waiting for something to happen. Soon a gruff male voice came through the intercom, surprising them all as they listened closely to his words.

"Hello. This is paradise, a military base built in hopes to shield humanity from the undead infection." The man said. "We will open the gate, and a suited guards will come out to check you for infection. Please listen to the guards and follow their guidance, we wish to get you inside as soon as possible after the check up is finished."

Each of them nodded at the words, agreeing to the check up. Soon two people came out in hazmat suits, one a woman and one a man. The woman smiled as she went to checking Amber, and the man didn't make any expression as he went to check Patrick. They lifted up their shirts and had them take off their pants, Amber not the least bit embarrassed as she showed off her pink underwear.

Ryan chuckeld at her unembarrassed attitude, and soon after those two were done with their check up it was Ryan and Gale's turn. The man went to check on Gale, and the woman came forward to Ryan.

"Are you okay with me checking you?" She asked.

Ryan nodded hesitantly, knowing that his body was going to raise a lot of questions. He voluntarily took off his hoodie and shirt on his own accord, surprising himself as he looked at his body.

All of the marks were gone. The only mark that remained was the bite he had received from his mom, other than that the rest of his body was clear.

His friends that had been anticipating Ryan's check up also looked in surprise, and the woman who was in front of him backed away in shock.

"He has a bite!" She exclaimed.

The man that was with her came forward as he cursed, Gale reaching out and stopping him as he walked forward. "Wait! He got that bite a long time ago. He's immune." He said.

The two hazmat suits looked at each other in shock, and the woman bent down to observe the wound more closely. "It is very old. I don't know about immune, you must have been bit by a newly turned and gotten lucky or something. No one has survived a fully turned zombie bite." She said, obviously not one to be optimistic.

This time Amber came forward as she faced Ryan, running a hand down his stomach in wonder. " I can't believe it! All of those wounds... they can't just be gone. Can you take off your pants Ryan?" Ryan hesitated at the words but agreed, knowing that she wanted to take a look at the wound that had been the worst bite. It had been on his left leg, and now as he took off his pants they could still see the bite mark. It had healed to a small bite, and before their eyes it slowly closed up and disappearing completely.

The two guards stared in shock, looking at Ryan in amazement. Gale stepped forward so that he could explain the situation. "15 days ago he was attacked by a swarm, when we finally got to him his entire body was littered with bite wounds. He didn't turn, and he healed extremely fast."

The woman's eyebrow twitched and she looked over at Ryan, doubt and amazement filling her expression. "Just how is this possible?"

"That's what I want to find out as well." Ryan said in resolution.

The guards shared a glance before soon nodding, and they were guided into the fortress after they all redressed. The group of four friends looked amongst each other in relief as they felt sheltered by the high walls. Ryan reached out and grabbed Gale's hand, feeling joy fill his heart and tears spring to his eyes as the sunlight fell across his face. He was finally able to enjoy the peace in this world again.