Chapter 8

Ryan was glad that no zombies appeared around them as the group wept in anguish. When Patrick was finally out of tears he agreed to leaving as Harper gently asked him to follow them to a safer place. As they prepared to leave Ryan instructed the group to use the guts from the zombies and cover themselves, which earned him revolted gazed as they looked at him in disgust.

"The zombies won't notice you if you smell like them. They can't see or hear. So we should be fine as long as we smell like them." The group looked shocked at his words, looking at him like he was a genius scientist.

Tyler, who was always been a science addict, spoke with awe to Ryan. "How did you find out?"

Ryan paused for a moment, feeling like the story was a little personal, but realized he was surrounded by the friends he trusted. "My family all turned. I ended up able to at least tie up my dad and sister, my mom still free roams her room. I was stuck in the house with them for a long time so... I decided to test what senses they still used."

Tyler's anticipative face contorted to that of shock as he looked at Ryan. The rest of the group all seemed to understand just how psychologically heavy Ryan's words had been, and grew silent. Amber was the one who came forward and patted Ryan's shoulder.

"Thanks to your knowledge, we have another chance at survival. Thank you Ryan." Ryan smiled at her words, helping them all slather the guts over their bodies. They all found it disgusting but ignored the stench, knowing that this had to do with life and death.

"Now," Ryan began, "make sure you don't let the zombies touch you either. Although they don't react to sight or hearing, they still react to touch."

The group nodded in understanding, and Ryan felt relieved that they listened to him so readily. "I found a car that can fit all of us, it's only three streets down. We can use it to head to paradise."

Everyone in the group paused at that and looked around at each other, Harper being the one to hesitantly come forward. "We had agreed as a group not to go to paradise... I think that's why Lena went off on her own."

Ryan's face shifted to confusion as he looked at them. "But why? Don't you want to get to safety? Aren't you tired of almost dying everyday?"

The group sighed amongst each other, and Gale decided to speak on behalf of the rest. "Ryan... it's not safe. What if one of them gets bitten? And if someone turned inside paradise? It's likely it could all quickly go down to ruin. We're just... afraid." Gale said solemnly.

Ryan stared at the group for a second, blinking a few times as his thoughts ran wild. "But..." he started. "It doesn't travel by bites?"

His friends all looked amongst each other in response to Ryan's words, surprise showing as they looked at Ryan in confusion. This time it was Tyler who spoke up. "But we saw others get bitten and they transferred not soon after. Why do you say it doesn't transfer by bite?"

Ryan hesitated before pulling up his red hoodie and black shirt he had on underneath, revealing a nasty scar that had long since scabbed over. "Because I was bitten by my mom."