Gilderoy Lockhart

Our first day back seemed to be a bit of a disaster.

We were sitting, eating breakfast in the Great Hall the following morning. I sat next to Hermione across from Ron and Harry (who Hermione was still a bit upset with.) Neville joined us a couple of minutes before the post.

"Post's due any minute-I think Gran's sending on a few things I forgot," Neville said sitting down.

I'd been buttering a piece of toast when the sound of swooping owls and letters came from above, they began dropping the packages and letters from above and I covered my head with an arm, just to be safe.

A large parcel came down on Neville's head and bounced off, then there was a sound of splashing when something fell inside Hermione's jug of milk.

"Errol!" Ron cried picking his owl out of the milk. Errol collapsed on the table still clutching a large familiar-looking red envelope in his beak.

"Oh no-" Ron said and I stared at the red envelope.

"It's alright, he's still alive," Hermione prodded Errol with her finger misunderstanding Ron's worry.

"It's not that-it's that," Ron pointed at the red letter.

"What's the matter?" Harry asked confused, he mustn't have seen mine last year or hadn't realized where it'd come from.

"She's-she's sent me a Howler," Ron replied faintly and I covered my ears.

"You'd better open it, Ron," Neville whispered. "It'll be worse if you don't. My Gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and-it was horrible." He shuddered at the memory.

"It's not all that bad," I reassured Ron. "I mean people aren't all that worried about your Howler they've got better things to worry about."

"What's a Howler?" Harry asked, still confused.

Ron didn't answer instead stared at the envelope whose corners had begun to smoke.

I recovered my ears.

"Open it, it'll be over in a few minutes..." Neville urged him.

Tentatively Ron reached for the envelope taking it from Errol's beak with shaking hands he opened the letter and the roar filled the room.

"...STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET A HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT HAD GONE."

Mrs Weasley's shouts echoed through the hall as everyone quieted listening to the Howler. Plates, spoons, and forks rattled on the table across the hall.

'...LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD'VE BOTH DIED...ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED, YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."

The silence held for a few minutes then scattered conversations started.

Hermione closed her books at looked at Ron, "Well, I don't know what you expected, Ron, but you-"

"Don't tell me I deserved it," Ron snapped at her.

Professor McGonagall moved along the table handing out our timetables, we had Herbology with Hufflepuffs right away.

So, picking up our stuff we headed out towards the greenhouses. We waited with the rest of the class for Professor Sprout who showed up with arms full of bandages alongside Gilderoy Lockhart.