The Rescue

The world was fuzzy when I came to. I rubbed my head and felt a sharp jab of pain.

In front of me, I could see Ron as my eyes began to focus and the world cleared.

"Ron?" My voice was groggy and quiet but it echoed enough that Ron turned around.

"Oh hey Evelyn, you got hit in the head, knocked you out," Ron told me and I stood up wobbling a bit before finding my balance.

"What happened?" I asked walking towards him.

"This idiot," Ron pointed to Lockhart who was laughing happily on the floor, "tried to Obliviate us with my wand. Got shot backwards and knocked the rocks in, erased his own memory."

"Hello, who are you? Who am I?" Lockhart called from the floor turning over to look at me.

"I'm Evelyn, you're Gilderoy Lockhart," I answered him.

"Ah thank you!" He smiled before turning back towards the ceiling.

"He's useless, I'm trying to clear the rocks so there's a pathway when Harry comes back," Ron told me and I looked at Ron worriedly.

"Harry's alone out there?" I asked worriedly and Ron nodded.

"He went to try and find Ginny, can you help me clear some of these rocks?"

So far there were a couple of smaller gaps in the rock wall but not enough for any of us to fit through.

"Yeah, sure," I nodded.

I started helping him move some of the rocks when a bird swooped by, it held something in its claws but I couldn't tell what. It flew through one of the smaller gaps and was gone.

"I hope that bird was going to help Harry," I said, grabbing a larger rock and moving it.

~~

We were still moving rocks when I heard a voice.

"Ron! Ginny's ok! I've got her!" I heard Harry's voice from the other side of the wall.

"Harry!" I smiled dropping the rock I'd been holding on the floor with a thud that echoed through the chamber.

"Evelyn?" Harry asked.

"She woke up a bit after you left," Ron explained to him and I nodded, even though Harry couldn't see me.

We'd created enough of a gap in the rocks that we could probably pull the both of them through, one at a time.

"Ginny!" Ron helped pull Ginny through first. "You're alive! I don't believe it! What happened?"

He tried to hug her but she held him off, she was sobbing and I looked at her worried.

"Ginny? Are you alright?" I asked her and she didn't respond just sobbed.

"Good to see you, Harry!" I hugged him after he'd made his way through the gap.

"You're ok now Ginny," Ron told her beaming. "It's over now, it's–where did that bird come from?"

"I knew it was going to help you!" I smiled as I saw the familiar bird from before.

"He's Dumbledore's," Harry explained and I nodded, I suppose that made sense.

"And how come you've got a sword?" Ron asked and I saw the shining sword with rubies that Harry was holding in his hand.

"I'll explain when we get out of here," Harry promised and I sighed.

"But-" Ron tried to protest.

"Later," Harry shook his head and I raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. "Where's Lockhart?"

I rolled my eyes, he'd headed back towards the entrance pipe, I wasn't too worried about him since there was no way for him to get out.

"Back there," Ron gestured with his thumb. "He's in a bad way. Come and see."

We led the way over to the entrance pipe where Lockhart was sitting humming to himself.

"His memory's gone," Ron explained. "The Memory Charm backfired. Hit him instead of us. Hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are. I told him to come and wait here. He's a danger to himself."

Lockhart peered up at us with a bright smile.

"Hello." He greeted. "Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"

"No," Ron told him looking back at us and I giggled.

"Have you thought about how we're going to get back up this?" Harry asked bending down to look at the pipe.

Ron and I shook our heads but then the bird swooped in front of us and stuck out its tail feathers.

"He looks like he wants you to grab hold..." Ron said. "But you're much too heavy for a bird to pull up there."

"Fawkes isn't an ordinary bird," Harry told us as he turned around. "We've got to hold on to each other. Ron grab Ginny's hand, Evelyn take Ginny's other hand and Lockhart-"

"He means you," Ron told Lockhart sharply.

"Lockhart take Evelyn's other hand."

Harry reached out and took Fawkes tail feathers and Ron grabbed the back of his robes.

Slowly Fawkes lifted us up and we began to fly through the pipe. I held both Lockhart's and Ginny's hands tightly not wanting them to slip out of my grasp.

"Amazing! Amazing! This is just like magic!" I heard Lockhart say in amazement.

We got out of the pipe and into the bathroom, the sink closing behind us.

"You're alive," Myrtle stared at us, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

"There's no need to sound so disappointed," Harry rubbed his glasses trying to clean them.

"Oh, well...I'd just been thinking. If you had died, you'd have been welcome to share my toilet," Myrtle blushed and I stifled a laugh.

"Urgh!" Ron groaned as we left the bathroom. "Harry! I think Myrtle's got fond of you! You've got competition, Ginny!"

I hit Ron in the head with my hand and he raised a hand to rub his head. Ginny still had silent tears streaming down her face, I rubbed her back soothingly as we stood there.

"Where now?" Ron asked and Harry pointed to Fawkes who was leading the way down the corridor.

We followed to the door to McGonagall's office.

Harry took a deep breath before knocking on the door and pushing it open.

--

This chapter's a bit shorter, sorry about that but I mean most of my chapters are like 10 pages or so, so this was a nicer shorter chapter :)

-Fi