Talons and Terror

"What do you think we'll be doing in Care of Magical Creatures, Harry?" I asked as we walked down the soft path toward the edge of the Forbidden Forest.

The sky was a pale grey and the world still had that smell that came after it had rained.

"Who knows with Hagrid," Harry answered and I nodded. Ron and Hermione weren't speaking with each other after what had happened at lunch so it was Harry and I trying to carry on a conversation.

Ahead we saw the backs of three familiar people, this was when we realized that we would be having our Care of Magical Creatures class with the Slytherins. Draco was talking with Crabbe and Goyle who were laughing at everything he said.

Hagrid was standing waiting at the door of his hut when we got there, he pulled on his coat.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" He urged the class as we drew nearer. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

"Is he taking us into the Forbidden Forest?" I whispered, we hadn't had the greatest experience with the Forest in the past. Last year with Aragog, and the year before with Quirrel/He Who Must Not Be Named.

Harry shrugged, looking worried. Luckily, Hagrid didn't lead us in too deep, instead, we came to a clearing of sorts where the trees were more scattered and you could see hints of the grey sky above.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" Hagrid told us, pointing to the fence. "That's it-make sure yeh can see-now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books-"

"How?" I heard Draco ask, his voice sounded bored and cold, like Father's, when had he become like Father?

"Eh?"

"How do we open our books?" Draco repeated as he took out his book from his bag. Most people had tied there's up to stop the biting. I'd used an old piece of fabric I'd found to make sure it wouldn't destroy everything I owned.

"Hasn'-hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" Hagrid looked crestfallen as the class shook their heads.

"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," Hagrid told us as if it was obvious. "Look-'

He took Hermione's copy in his hands and ripped off the Spellotape, right away the book began to bite but Hagrid slid his finger down the spine and it shuddered to a stop opening to reveal the pages inside.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Draco sneered. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

"I-I thought they were funny," Hagrid looked uncertain as he handed Hermione her book back.

"Oh, tremendously funny!" Draco said. "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

"Shut up," Harry said quietly.

"Righ' then," Hagrid seemed thrown off now, "so-so yeh've got yer books an'-an'-now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..."

He headed off to get the creature we would be studying.

"God, this place is going to the dogs," Draco said loudly. "That oaf teaching classes, my father'll have a fit when I tell him-"

"Shut up," Harry repeated.

"Careful, Potter, there's a dementor behind you-"

"Oooooooh!" Lavender Brown squealed as she pointed to something on the other side of the clearing.