PROLOGUE

Cecelia kneeled in her kitchen

Cecelia kneeled in her kitchen. Her father passed out on the couch after he drank a whole bottle of liquor. Her mind was blank, not thinking at all, while cleaning the mess her father made just minutes before. She didn't do what he wanted, which never seemed to end well. She knew that, of course, but she didn't care all that much. The glass shards felt small compared to her hand as she picked them all up, threw them away, and went to her room.

Her room reminded her of her mother, who left a couple of years ago. Two years and two hundred and nine days to be exact. Her mother couldn't deal with her husband anymore, so she decided that being factionless was a better option. Cecelia thought that she was a coward for that. Leaving her to fend off her father by herself.

When she got to her room she laid down on her bed and blinked back her tears. She thought that tears would make her weak, as her father had said. She was fit physically, with toned legs, and enough muscle in her arms to get by doing farm work. She was the only girl who wanted to do that kind of work, so it worked in her favor.

Tomorrow was the Aptitude test. Cecelia wasn't worried too much, but there was still this pit in her stomach. What if she got amity and had to stay here with him? What if the test didn't work and she became factionless? Or worse, Divergent? She has learned about divergents before from her books. She knew in the back of her mind that it was a possibility, but they were extremely rare. It couldn't happen to her, right?

After a couple of hours, she fell asleep to her background music. Hoping that she doesn't get amity tomorrow.

 Hoping that she doesn't get amity tomorrow