THIRTEEN | FEARS AND TRACKERS

CELIA WOKE UP WHEN SOMEONE TOUCHED HER WAIST

CELIA WOKE UP WHEN SOMEONE TOUCHED HER WAIST. She blinked her eyes open and saw Four sitting beside her. She looked up at him and smiled. "Good morning," she said.

"Hey, come on. I wanna show you something," he rubbed her arm. She sighed, there couldn't be one minute at dauntless without something going wrong. She got up and followed him to where he was taking her. He led her to the rooftop, where she could see erudite and dauntless moving things from trucks into the garage. "Look," he muttered.

"Erudite," she murmured.

"Yeah, they're here every morning. I've been watching them for weeks," he reported.

"Well, what are they doing here?" She asked, watching their every move.

"Loading in supplies, computers," she glanced back up at him as he pulled something out of his pocket. "And these."

"What the hell is that?" She inquired, grabbing it from him.

"I think it's some kind of cognitive transmitter. You inject it like a serum," his voice was hoarse.

"Why?"

"It's supposed to make you more susceptible to suggestion, but, as many as they have... They could create an army," Just then the PA speaker came on.

"Attention, all initiates report for final testing. All initiates report for final testing," it announced. Celia glanced down nervously, if she passed the test too fast, she'd be killed. Too slow, she'd be factionless.

"You're ready, you can do this," Four whispered to her.

She nodded and they made their way to the testing room. It was ten times scarier than Celia had imagined. When she came in, many heads turned to her, including Eric's. They made eye contact and she looked away, nervous about how this would go. He was already suspicious, if he wanted to, he could kill her.

What she didn't know was that he could never go through with it.

Four came up beside her, "They can see your hallucinations on the screen. So you get past your fears the way a dauntless would, but do it quickly," she nodded, knowing exactly what would happen if she didn't.

"Right, if I'm too fast, they kill me. Too slow, I'm still dead," she muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Lose the attitude, Celia, I'm still your instructor."

"Oh yes, let me bow down to you, Four," she used his nickname, considering they were in front of like one hundred people.

"Right, good luck, I'd rather you not die," he said, walking off. She smiled at his words, at least he cared. She stepped up to the chair in the middle of the room, everyone watching her every step. She sat in the chair and looked at Tori who was next to her.