° nineteen °

My father got called in to work on a major case, so I ended up going with my mother to Ethan's baseball game. According to my mother, it sounded like he was going to be gone for a while, and I didn't want her to be alone. So, we made the twenty minute drive to the school that was hosting. Anne was already here, the two of us sitting next to her. Noah and Emily were with her, the little boy grinning when he saw me.

"Nicole!"

He immediately started climbing onto me, a smile on my face at the fact that he liked me so much. Emily spoke to me about her day at school, and I allowed Noah to play with my fingers. It wasn't very long before they played the national anthem, our team batting first. Within the first inning, we had gotten three runs, though the home team scored the same, the game already becoming interesting. Throughout the game, I was distracted by Noah or Emily wanting my attention. However, I paid attention when it was Ethan's turn, Emily and Noah shouting when their Uncle was up.

By the eighth inning, the teams were tied at about seven runs each. It was close, although our team getting a home run allowed us to win in the last inning. So far, we had yet to lose, but this was the closest a game had been in a while. After the crowd dispersed, I held Noah in my arms, Anne taking Emily's hand. My mother and Anne continued chatting, Harry walking toward us with Ethan trailing a little ways behind.

"Uncle Harry!" Noah shouted.

"Nicole came see me again!"

"Cool," he nodded, reaching for his nephew. "I want to hold you."

"Uh, noooo," he laughed, hugging me tighter this time. "Nicole hold me."

"Noah, you have to meet my girlfriend," Harry stated.

"Who?"

He pointed to the girl, who I assumed was Hailey, standing near the bleachers still. My mother, Anne, Emily, and Ethan were all chatting together. I could tell my brother felt awkward, but I didn't really know what we could do. After all, my mother knew Ethan had punched Harry, but I wasn't certain what Harry had told Anne.

"Nicole better," Noah shrugged.

"Noah, let me hold you," Harry stated slightly harsher.

"No, Uncle Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes.

"Noah, why don't you go see Harry?" I asked.

"Because I like you."

Harry muttered something before walking over to Hailey. She smiled at him, the two appearing to chat when I looked away. Noah clung to me when I stood near Anne, listening to her talk to Ethan about where he applied for college. A few more minutes passed before Hailey walked by, Anne shaking her head.

"I'm so angry Harry is dating her again," she mumbled.

"Me too!" Emily whined. "Uncle Harry should just date Nicole because she's sooooo much nicer! Hailey was mean to me when I got a boo boo."

"Emily!" Anne scoffed, Harry walking over then. "Shh."

"What's wrong?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," Anne shook her head.

"Not nothing!" Emily groaned. "Uncle Harry, I don't like Hailey. You should date Nicole."

Harry looked pissed, and I felt like he actually wanted to throw something. Honestly, I was kind of wanting her to shut up also, but I was not angry with what Emily was saying. Ethan almost thought it was funny, and both Anne and my mother shrugged.

"I'll see you at home, Mum."

"Harry, don't be upset. She's six."

"Fuck off," he scoffed. "I know you don't like her, but you don't have to make my niece believe that—"