Where is the love?

The towering Darth Vader stood near the door. Her heart thumped wildly in her chest at the sight of him. She was surprised that he hadn't crossed the room to hug her and she didn't know whether or not to hug him. He seemed distant, like there was some kind of barrier between them.

He hated when she called him Vader. But she was lovely. As lovely as he could have possibly imagined her to be.

"You're here," she said, stating the obvious in her nervousness.

Unable to contain herself any longer she raced across the room and threw her arms around hesitant shoulders. Vader's hands fell to her sides as he looked into her beautifully painted face.

"I missed you," she gasped.

And I missed you...

But instead of replying he released her and walked toward the window, facing her with his back.

"What's wrong?" [Name] asked.

She wasn't really that clueless, was she?

Vader turned then sat on the edge of the bed, bidding her to sit by his side. They faced each other now and his hands traced intimate circles on her knee. Behind the mask he smiled. But it wasn't a smile that stretched from his now blackened heart, but a smile of pure malevolence.

"How was youuuur trip?" he asked. He wanted to say more, but couldn't. Not yet.

"Exceptional. I could hardly wait to see you again," she said.

The hand paused and rested on her leg.

"And your room?"

"Comfortable. I thought only of you," she answered.

The hand suddenly squeezed and pain shot through her thigh.

"Of how well you thought you might dupe me?" he asked.

Vader's mechanical voice hummed. She knew this meant he was angry. The hand remained on her leg.

[Name] searched her mind for the right words. Why would he think she duped him?

"Your liiiies don't come fast enough," he observed.

She heard the smile in his voice. The sarcasm. Which startled her.

"I never ran away, if that's what you're thinking," she answered. "I was ordered by the queen to leave Naboo."

[Name] wringed both hands into her lap.

She was nervous. It was all unraveling and fast.

"Your lies," he started "Will not be tolerated.

He rose and [Name] also stood and backed away from her sulking would-be husband. Why was she so afraid?

But Vader had already resolved that he wouldn't commence to chasing her about the room. It needed to be quick or else his anger would absolve and he'd forgive her. She didn't deserve forgiveness.

"We're here now. Together again."

"Why?" he barked.

"Because we love each other."

She smiled. But it was a nervous smile. She wringed the material of her dress together in her hands.

[Name] didn't know afraid, Vader thought.

"I knooow it was not the queen who ordered you to leave Naboo."

[Name] could only shake her head. The Sith Lord inched toward her and she met him halfway, throwing herself in his arms. [Name] stared into the blackness of the mask, hoping to sense something...

Where was the love?