Chapter 92

Though  it  was  spring  break,  I  had  to   be  an  adult  and  go  to  work.  I'm  counting  down  the  days  till  I   graduate  and  I  work  in  the  job  I  have  qualifications  for.

Today  was  Thursday  aka   slow  day   at  the  store.  Johnny  and  I  were  working  today  on  our  to-do  lists.

"I  feel  like  these  check  lists  are  getting  repetitive,"  Johnny  told  me.

"I  know  like  they  are  basically  duplicates  every  day  like  what's  the  point?"  I  asked  Johnny.

"The  good  thing  is  Levi  is  back  tomorrow  so  it'll  be  a  faster  day,"  Johnny  replied.

"I  hate  Thursdays  because  it's  literally  our  slowest  day,"   I  told  him.

"Well  yeah  I  mean  everyone  gets  paid  tomorrow  so  I  see  why,"  Johnny  replied.

"We  get  paid  too  so,"  I  replied  joking.

"But  we   have  bills  to  pay.  People  to  write  to,"  Johnny  replied.

"We  have  appointments  work  we  have  to  do,"  I  sang.

"People  we  must  write  to  again,  bills  we  must  pay,"  Johnny  sang  back.

"Oh  we  are  so  restless,  I  don't  care  what  we  say,"  I  sang.

"Karaoke  at  the  store?  Cool!"  Karen  said  as  she  walked  in.

I  immediately  turned  red.

"Uh  hi  Karen!"  I  said  as  Johnny  also  stopped  singing.

"How  are  you  guys?  It's  dead  huh?"  Karen  asked.

"Dead  as  a  doornail,"  Johnny  commented.

"I  was  just  stopping  by  to  see  what  maybe  new  and  also  catch  you  up  on  a  few  things," Karen  replied.

I  titled  my  head  in  confusion.

"Catch  me  up  on some  things?"  I  asked.

"Yeah  well  my  solo  album  is  being  shelved  for  the  time  being  unfouratenly,"  Karen  told  us.

Me  and  Johnny  looked  at  each  other  with  our  jaws  to  the  floor.

"Sh-shelved?"  I  managed  to  ask  stunned.

"Yeah,"  Karen  replied  quiet.

"I'm  so  sorry  Karen,"  Johnny  managed  to  spit  out.

"I'm  lost  for  words  Karen,"  I  replied.

"Thanks  guys  but  the  good  news  is  that  mine  and  Rich's  TV  special  comes  out  in  a  while  and  I  can  tell  you  I  was  a  special  guest  on  Olivia's  new  TV  special  as  well,"  Karen  said  happier.

"Aw  that  is  awesome  KC!  What  channel  again?"  I  asked  her.

"ABC!"  she  replied.

Then,  there  was  an  awkward  silence  through   the  store.

"So  anywho  what  were  you  looking  for  today  KC?"  I  asked  changing  the  subject.

Johnny  had  disappeared  in  the  back   for  the  time  being.

"Just  some  oldies  or  maybe  some  Beatles  or  Beach  Boys  stuff,"  Karen  said.

"Follow  me  my   dear,"  I  said  jokingly  as  I  took  her  to  the  oldies  section.

Karen  knew  the  store  layout  but  I  was  trying  to  make  jokes  since  she  obviously  had  a  lot  of  sad  decisions  looming  over  her  head.

"Dang  this  section  is  stocked  quiet  nicely,"  Karen  replied  as she  beginning  sorting  through  the  items.

"We  had  several  major  donations  over  the  last  few  weeks  which  shocked  us.  So  many  good  timers  like  Perry  Como  or  Dean  Martin  were  thrown  in  a  donation  bin," I   replied.

"I  mean  good  for  us  but  sad  because  it's  like  their  music  has  died  in  a  way,"  Karen  replied  as  she  was  focused  on  looking  through  the  records.

"I  can  tell  a  new  wave  of  music  is  coming.  I  do  think  disco  is  dead,"  I  told  her.

"You  think  disco  is  dead?  Don't  say  that  in  front  of  the  Gibbs,"  Karen  joked.

"Well  they  weren't  necessarily  disco  disco  if  you  know  what  I  mean,"  I  replied  to  Karen.

Karen  shook  her  head  in  agreement.

"I  think  that's  a  good  way  of  explaining  it  because  like  their  early  hits  were  more  country,"  Karen  replied.

Twas  a  boring  day  turned  into  a  good   conversation.