Chapter 179

Thanksgiving  Day  was  just  what  Andy  wanted  it  to  be.  It  was  just  the  three  of  us  and  quiet.   Dinner  was  in  the  oven.  Andy  and  I  were  in  the  living  room  watching  the  Macy's  Thanskgiving  Day  Parade.  

"Which  float  is  your  favorite  so  far  darling?"  Andy  asked  me  as  our  eyes  were  glued  to  the  TV.

"I  think  the  cool  part  is  all  the  TV  stars  that  we  love  like  Nell  Carter  and  of  course  Jo  from  the  Facts  of  Life,"  I  said  as  I  reached  from  my  coffee  mug.

"I  think  the  best  part  is  waiting  for  Don  Mclean,"  Andy  replied  happily.

If  you  didn't  know,  Andy  was  a  big  fan  of  Don Mclean  aka  the  singer  of  "American  Pie."

"Oh  my  gosh  is  that  a  Smokey  the  Bear  float?"  I  asked  as  I  stared  at  the  TV.

Andy  chuckled  at  my  childlike  wonder.

"Yes  darling  I  think  it  is,"  Andy  said  as  the  little  bear  floated  across  the  screen.

"Only  you  can  prevent  forest  fires,"  I  said  chuckling.

"You  even  have  his  slogan  memorized,"  Andy  replied  as  he  went  to  go  check  on  the  dinner  in  the  oven.

Since  it  was  just  the  two  of  us,  we  got  everything  made  last  night  minus  the  stuffing  and  the  small  turkey.

Then,  on  the  TV,  two  ladies  appeared  and   started  playing  music  with  what  looked  to  be  wooden  spoons  ontop  of  metal  bowls.

I  stared  at  the  TV  in  confusion  while  Andy  came  back  and  sat  down  next  to  me.

"What  is  that  about?"  Andy  asked  chuckling.

"I  don't  know  but  it  sounds  pretty  good,"  I  said  as  I   reached  for  my  coffee  mug  once  more.

And  for  the  next  20  minutes,  we  watched  the  parade  go  by  with  the  commercials  in between.

"I  wonder  how  long  it  takes  to  prepare  for  the  parade,"   I  wandered  out loud.

"Hmmm,"  Andy  replied  out loud.

"I'd  assume  a  few  months  but  how  do  they  prepare  for  the  weather  on  the  actual  day?  I  mean  look  at  their  breath,"  I  said  point to  a  girl  who's  breath  was  clearly  visible  on  the  TV  shot.

"Well  maybe  next  year  they'll  invite  me  and  we  can  find  out,"  Andy  said  nudging  me.

"Ohhhhh  and  maybe  if  that  doesn't  work  out,  we  can  fly  out  and  spend  Thanksgiving  in  New  York,"  I  said  smiling.

"That's  true  we  could  also  do  that  but  what  about  our  traditional  Thanksgiving  dinner?"  Andy  asked  pouting.

I  rolled  my  eyes.

"There  is  always  the  days  after  or  days  before  to  eat  a  Thanksgiving  meal,"  I  told  Andy.

"I  just  like  the  idea  of  the  holidays  ya  know  something  traditional,"  Andy  replied  as  the  next  part  of  the  parade  begin.

It  was  like  we  were  children  watching  TV  for  the  first  time.  I  think  everyone  needs  to  keep  the  childlike  wonder  in  life.