Chapter one.

She opened her eyes and shivered, It got so cold she missed a proper sleep. Being alone now meant no lookouts in the evenings, no back up if she was raided by Killjoys or drac patrols. Being alone was dangerous in this new world, Killjoys always travelled in pairs at minimum for this reason.

The whole place smelt of the dry desert night, that type of smell you couldn't pin point but reminded her of death. Sand would blow in and was piling up slowly around the corners of the building, paint peeling from the walls. It was far from luxury.

She had been here for about 6 months now, surprised she had lasted so long in one place. Party hadn't found her this time, and more importantly neither had Korse. It was immensely lonely out here and she missed the diner. The noise of everyone joking with each other, Party Poison always there with a hug or kiss. She was protecting them she reminded her self with a sigh.

Not too far from her base was a small store, it was run by two older killjoys. They hadn't been fighting for a while now, tired from the life of a rebel and set up shop to help other killjoys instead. They had a small team who had regular raids of Battery city and you could often find rare items there as well as normal supplies.

They had been the ones to inform her of the word on the grapevine. Korse was after her, hunting her down, furious to reap revenge on her. She was the one to inflict his injuries and foil his plan to convert the killjoys to dracs and he wanted her to pay. Their crew had overheard talks during a raid of Battery city and it made her blood run cold. She may have stood a chance before not now. Not alone and injured.

She got up off the floor, stumbling slightly before righting herself. Her leg still had a few minor issues and would give way occasionally especially after sleep. Just another reason to only get the minimum every night. She looked around at the dark and dusty room. The shelves almost empty now. She would have to move on soon, the only thing keeping her here had been the easy food supply as she couldnt raid alone in her condition. She was still a good fighter but with one shoulder barely working she couldnt raise a gun properly with that side. This was quite a hindrance in a drac attack.

It was still dark out, she looked out through the broken window seeing the stars glittering high in the sky. She thought back to the night spent star dreaming on the roof of the diner, before shaking her head and moving away from the window. Thinking back on that wasnt helpful, it just made her want to return even more.

But that would put them all in danger. If Korse did find her now at least she was alone and they were far from here safe. She would sacrifice anything to keep them all safe.

Eagerly awaiting the sunrise now she got dressed. She struggled getting her bad leg into her ripped black jeans. She couldnt remember the last time she had managed to find new clothes and she had tears all down the legs now. She pulled on her plain black tshirt, the last item she took of Party Poisons, and her faded leather Jacket she had spray painted a raven on in Neon colours.

Her hair was a mess, but the store had kept her in good supply of hair dye. She now had a split dye half black, half blue. She felt it represented her vibrant side and the dark side of her, the dark side was slowing taking over her emotions by the day.

She holstered her gun to her thigh, shoved a few bottles of water and food into a bag and sat and waited for daylight. She needed to scope out the area for a new place, she needed to find somewhere better before the dark thoughts took over too much. Keep her mind busy.

The thoughts were becoming overwhelming now, she rarely spoke to anyone else and that meant many a night overthinking. Loneliness, self pity and isolation wasnt a good mix especially when she started thinking of what she had lost. She had too much time on her hands to push the thoughts away.

The dreams didn't help either. She still had the same nightmares mixed with the dreams of the safe place she felt she visited when she was close to death. Where her friends and family were.

She wondered now if that's what death was like. Did she get to stay in the warm safe place? Was it even worth it to keep running anymore?

She was so tired and there was little hope of Better living industries being taken down any time soon. She had fought for so long and lost everything, Korse was bound to find her soon maybe she should just give up. That might placate Korse for a while and he would leave the others alone.

As the sun began to rise, she thought hard and decided to herself she would visit Party one more time to say her goodbyes and disappear into the desert alone and do what needed to be done. She couldn't face leaving this world without seeing him one last time no matter how hard it was going to be.