Chapter two.

Breathing in the dusty hot air she put on her sunglasses and walked towards her bike. It was hidden out of view at the back of the store. She tried to only come and go as little as possible and had to cover the bike in whatever junk was lying around  when she returned, she didnt want any signs of her being visible to anyone going past. Not that anyone ever did.

She felt calm for the first time in a while. She wasn't so bothered about whether she got caught now and took her time getting ready to leave instead of her normal rush. It felt good to go at her own pace and was much easier on her leg and shoulder.

Climbing on the bike she took a look around at the store for the last time, she wasn't going to miss this place and was glad to see the back of it. She had taken all the things she needed and placed them in her black backpack for the road, it wasn't the longest of journeys but she would need plenty of water in this heat.

She didn't know what she was going to say to him when she got there, to any of them. She wasn't going to divulge her plan though, she was done running, tired of the fight now.

She started the engine to the bike and sped off leaving a trail in the desert sand beneath her. She went as fast as the bike would take her feeling the rush of the speed and the wind blowing through her, like it was clearing the stress of the last few years from her soul. Cathartic and freeing.

After an hour she pulled to the side of the road, she could see the diner up ahead now but needed to compose her thinking before they realised anyone was approaching. She knew they would have someone on lookout, it was close to nightfall now so they would know she was there before she even pulled up.

Her brain had been going into overdrive the closer she got to the diner, she had avoided it for five long years now. Would they even want to speak to her? She wanted their last encounter together to be a good one, but she had abandoned them and she wasn't sure if they knew why. No point dragging it out any longer she set off again.

As she approached the side the diner they were all there waiting for her. Party poison was sat on the ground, his back against the wall, Kobra next to him with his arms crossed in front of his chest. Ghoul was standing with Diamond, his arm around her shoulders and both grinning. Jet ran towards her and wrapped his arms around her in a hug before she could even get off the bike.
'Hey Jet, missed you dude' she whispered into his curly hair, hugging him back before pulling away and climbing from the bike.

One by one they approached her for a hug exchanging pleasantries about her being back. Party Poisons eyes never left her, but he remained sat on the floor in silence.

' Come on! Come inside! We have so much to catch up on!' Diamond said excitedly trying to pull her inside the door.

'I'm coming' she laughed nervously 'just give me a minute' and she nodded towards a sombre looking Party. Diamond gave her a small smile and squeezed her arm before they all went back inside.

She walked over to Party and sat down next to him. He probably didn't even want to see her at this point. She had abandoned him many times over the years, avoiding him and running from him. If only he knew why he might have understood but she had never told him knowing it would make him follow her more.

'Hi' she said and instantly thought what a stupid first thing to say. Sorry may have been a better starter or just blurting out the whole thing to him?

'Hi' He replied quietly. Looking forward at her bike and no longer at her. She didnt know what to say, how do you explain all this?

She turned to face him, mind running over words that would explain but all she could muster through tears was 'I'm so sorry'.

He looked up at her then, lifting up his hand to wipe her tears away and then cupped his hand against her cheek. She closed her eyes and lent into the warmth of his hand, missing his familiar smell but then as soon as she did he let go, stood up and walked off into the diner.

Standing up slowly, her leg almost giving way again she realised the other killjoys were all looking through the window at her. She contemplated running again, now embarrassed but instead she sighed and walked into the diner to face their questions, reminding herself she wasnt running anymore.