Chapter five.

Back at the diner they had placed Party in bed. Jet had been cleaning his wound and keeping a check on him. He reckoned he would be OK now they had stemmed the bleeding but would need to look out for signs of infection after he had cauterized the wound in the middle of a desert and not somewhere clean.

This was all her fault. They had all been telling her not to blame herself but this was why she left in the first place. She had been who the dracs were after and once again Party had paid more attention to her than who was shooting at him.

Diamond and Ghoul were asleep now on the sofa, Ghoul had his arms wrapped around her. She was glad they had found each other they were a good match and she knew they would watch out for Party for her. Kobra had given her a big hug and gone off to bed now he knew his brother was OK. She wasn't sure if he would sleep he was a big worrier especially since he had been captured.

'He wants to see you Neon' Jet said breaking her from her thoughts. She was working out her new plan in her head, before things got worse. She wouldn't need to go to the desert she needed Korse to know she was dead now. Then the extra patrols would stop keeping her killjoys safer.

This group of misfits meant the world to her and she wanted then to enjoy some sort of life in this crazy world. The best they could anyway, there would still be patrols but all the extra heat would be taken off them.

She walked in and sat on the bed next to Party and rested her head on his shoulder. Once she knew he was OK she would start her plan.

'Neon' He said and she lifted her head to look at him. 'Ray said your blaming yourself. This was my mistake not yours. Don't run.'

'I told you I'm done running, I need you safe though and this was my fault. I'll fix it.' She told him. He must have thought she would disappear into the night again. A pang of doubt hit her for a moment thinking of him having to deal with the aftermath. She was sure he would be OK, hurt yes but more importantly safe.

'Fix it? How? Your not going after Korse?' He said worried now what she was going to do.

'No dont worry I'm not going to leave the diner, I promise. You need to rest and get strong again get some sleep' She kissed him gently then rested her head back on his shoulder.

He didn't seem convinced and kept fighting sleep. She stroked his face and eventually he couldn't fight it anymore. She layed there for a while listening to his heart beat and watching his deep breathing in his sleep. She hoped he would be more careful now she was going to be out of the picture, more focused at least.

She got up and placed a note on the pillow next to him she had written  out earlier while everyone was preoccupied. On top of the note she placed her necklace. She had worn it since her life in battery city and wanted him to have it. Maybe it would bring him some luck.

Written inside the note was:

I love you, always remember that.
Remember the good times and think of me when you watch the stars.

I have to go to keep you safe, I told you I would do anything to protect you. I was so tired of running and wish things could have been different.

When you find me take my body to the battery city gates so they find me. If I'm dead Korse won't keep looking for me and won't find the diner. This is important to keep you all safe.

I've left letters for everyone in my bag for after. Let them know how much I love them when you hand them out for me. At the bottom is one more letter for you. Don't open it until you've taken me to battery city.

Most importantly never forget I love you, you are my everything, my soul mate and I'll live on through you. You showed me caring and understanding and what love could be. I'm so sorry for all the hurt I've caused you the last few years I hope you can forgive me.

Stay safe and remember me.

She kissed him on the forehead one last time and walked out and into the bathroom. From her pocket she pulled out the bag of pills she had grabbed from the garage earlier when Jet was busy looking after Party. One by one she swallowed them, by the last few she was starting to feel dizzy and very sleepy.

She layed down on the floor and stared up at the peeling paint on the ceiling above her thinking about all the times they had had together before the darkness pulled her under.