• 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 •

𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟖𝐭𝐡 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟏

"Nothing's gonna change now that you're going into high school... Right Steve?"
Jennifer Dean turned to Steve Harrington as they laid on their backs, watching the clouds roll over the Hawkins Country Club's 'End of Summer' luncheon.

Steve scrunched up his nose as he adjusted his arms behind his head, "'Course not."

It returned to silence between them before Jenny sat up on her elbows, "Swear it then." She stuck her hand out towards him, her pinky finger standing out.

Steve scrunched his nose up again and sat up, "I'm not pinky-swearing."

"Why not!" Jenny cried.

"Because it's so childish!" He said with a chuckle.

Jenny pouted, "That's not the point! It's the principle."

"You really need to stop reading," Steve laid back down again and closed his eyes, putting his hands back behind his head and wriggling around to get comfortable.

Jenny pouted again and stared at him until he squinted one eye open.

"You look ridiculous holding your pinky out like that."

"Well don't leave me hanging then!" Jenny punched him lightly in the shoulder with her other hand.

"Stevie! We're leaving."

"Oooh nooo, my mother's calling me," Steve said, flicking Jenny's glasses up before running off.

"Steve!"

"See you later Jen!"

~ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐅 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐁𝐘𝐄𝐑𝐒 ~
𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟔𝐭𝐡 𝐎𝐅 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟑

A lot changes in the span of a year, even more changes after that, and Jenny Dean wasn't who she thought she'd be back in middle school.

Every kid seems to think they'd find their place in High School, and to some degree that was true for Jenny, then again, you could find your place, but that didn't necessarily mean you fit in.

As Steve found his place with Tommy H and Carol, he failed to save a spot for Jenny. Or rather, he forgot about her completely.

But Jenny didn't mind. She found hers with Robin Buckley, her soccer teammate turned best friend, and tried as much as possible to ignore the boy she used to know, which was admittedly incredibly hard when their lives were so intertwined and the fact he still tried talking to her whenever they were at The Club.

"Ding dong!"

A door somewhere in the house was thrown wide open before the thumping of feet came hurtling towards her.

"JD!" Robin cried, her mouth wide open in shock. "You said you couldn't get off work!"

Jenny laughed, "I know, I know, but I asked Jonathan if he could cover for me when he came on shift and he said yes!"

She motioned with her head to her full arms (filled with snacks from work), encouraging Robin to grab something. Her friend pulled out a large popcorn and a choc-top before stepping aside to let Robin's mother shut the door.

"Don't think I forgot about you and Richard, Melssia," Jenny added, pulling two chocolate bars out of her pocket with her one free hand and throwing them to Robin's mum.