• 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 •

~ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐁𝐀𝐓 ~
𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝟏𝟏𝐭𝐡 𝐎𝐅 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟑

Jenny had heard and seen enough by the time Nancy and Jonathan decided to zoom in on the freaky picture.

Instead, she had gone home to hopefully forget about that entire situation. She wanted to help Will, she really did, but there was no way in hell she was gonna be brave enough to go after whatever the hell that thing was. Unfortunately, she barely had a few hours before she was reminded again of Will's disappearance, and the strange creature in Steve's backyard kept coming back to her. If the creature really did take Barb and Will, why did it have the decency to return Will's body in one piece? Maybe Barb wasn't dead yet.

Auntie Claudia and Dustin had arrived at the Dean's house early Friday morning to get ready for Will's funeral.

Despite the sombre mood, Jenny's mother still found a way to discuss her recent scores to Claudia and compare them with her younger brothers behind her back, but she wasn't very subtle, and Jenny loathed the smug expressions her brothers were giving her as they listened.

Dustin was in a weirdly okay mood, but Jenny assumed this was his way of coping. He was sitting on the couch in the lounge room watching cartoons while the adults mulled around.

Jenny manoeuvred her way through the solemn party and went and sat down next to him.

"Hey, how are feeling?"

"Pretty okay." He told her, not drawing his gaze from the TV. Jenny nodded before he stood up.

"Actually can I talk to you?" He asked.

"Yeah of course."

They walked out of the lounge room to the stairs, Dustin hurried all the way up to the top before sitting down on the first step. She was glad Dustin had finally decided to talk to her, worried his strange behaviour was due to not enough people asking if he was okay. With Claudia working by herself to try and support the two of them, she wasn't home as much as Dustin probably needed, which led him to venture out with his friends more than Jenny was ever allowed at his age. Which reminded her...

"You haven't been hanging around the woods, have you?" Jenny asked him when she sat down on the step below him.

"No," He answered quickly. "Who wants to know?"

"M- Uh me? Dustin what–"

"I need you to believe me when I tell you this," He said sincerely, looking her dead in the eyes.

"What?"

"Will you believe me?

Jenny sighed. She wasn't exactly sure. It was impossible to ever know what you were agreeing to do when Dustin asked 'Do you trust me?' or 'You'll never guess!', but with those big puppy eyes and cute baby face, there was no way her little cousin couldn't persuade her.

"Fine. Yes, of course."

"Okay," He inhaled deeply. "We found this girl in the woods when Will went missing and then we found out she had these cool powers and she thinks Will's alive and knows where he is but also doesn't and she made Troy pee himself and there are bad men after her because they know something about Will and I really needed to tell someone because I was going to burst!" He exhaled deeply, clearly glad to clear his conscience.

"...What the fuck are you talking about."

"Look all you need to know is we think we know how we can find Will using this girl with powers, alright?"