• 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔 •

~ 𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐔𝐒 𝐔𝐍𝐔𝐌 ~
𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐉𝐔𝐋𝐘 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟓

Mike gave Jenny a dirty look as she stepped out of her five-seater BMW without a single other person in the car. She pretended not to notice, smiling to herself as the gang made their way up to the Holloway's door.

Nancy politely rang the doorbell, and when there was no immediate response, she rang it again. She had some serious double standards in terms of politeness, Jenny thought.

When they failed to answer once more, El used her powers to throw open the door, which worked much more effectively than the doorbell.

"Tom?" Nancy called out into the silence, yet again, startling Jenny. "Heather?"

"Jesus, it's freezing," Jenny hissed, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Do you guys smell that?" Nancy asked as they walked down the hall. Everyone inhaled. Jenny started coughing, the smell of chemicals burning her nose. She pulled her jacket up over her face to try and combat it.

Around the corner in the kitchen, the fridge was thrown down on the nice tiles and torn apart, chemicals of all varieties spilling over every inch of the place.

"Oh, God. More chemicals..."

Jenny picked up an empty Windex bottle close to her, "My grandparents do say Windex is good for everything... I don't know how good it is as a snack though."

Jonathan picked up Ajax, "You think they're guzzling this shit?"

"Yeah, either that or they just went on a hell of a cleaning spree," Nancy said.

"More like a botched crime scene cover-up," Jenny chuckled hollowly.

"But last year, Will didn't eat chemicals. Did you?" Max asked.

"No. This is something new..." Will agreed.

Jenny accidentally knocked a Clorox bottle onto a pile of spilt Borax, causing it to fizz.

"Of course..." She said, watching as the chemicals reacted. "When you mix chemicals..."

"You create a new substance," Lucas finished.

"So, they're making something?" Mike hypothesised.

"In themselves?" Max asked. "I mean, come on, if you drink this crap, it'll kill you."

Debatable on the Windex, Jenny thought to herself.

"Yeah, if you're human," Lucas pointed out.

"Hey– you haven't seen any strange rats, or the like, have you?" Jenny asked, kicking the spilt bottle of Clorox.

Nancy whipped around to her, "Rats? Like what?"

Jenny furrowed her brow at Nancy's slightly deranged reaction, "Like... exploding rats."

"No..." She said with a judgmental tinge, putting Jenny off from asking further questions about the rats.