• 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 •

~ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐏𝐘 ~
𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟒𝐓𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒

Jenny didn't think she had social anxiety until this moment. Grade anxiety? Sure. Post traumatic? Absolutely! But she always thought herself to be relatively sociable.

Until now.

She wished she was anywhere else than under the silently judgemental gaze of the cashier currently scanning packet after packet of pet meat for her. The pile on the other side of the register was becoming obscene.

Steve and Dustin stood with her in an awkward silence, not one of them able to look the guy in the eye as he rang up their total and asked for payment.

Steve and Jenny had convinced Dustin to raid his own piggy bank to find the funds for this mission, neither of them willing to spend their money on feeding a Demogorgan.

"Now where are we going?" Steve asked as he started up his car.

"To the train tracks heading towards the junkyard, I wanna leave a decent enough trail."

"Alright, just- Don't get any meat juice in my car yeah?"

Somehow Jenny ended up in the back seat with Dustin, filling up two full buckets worth of the dog food chucks -but not before putting on elbow-length cleaning gloves and newspaper over every inch of exposed clothing she could hope to cover.

The buckets made a terrifying lurch, threatening to spill as Steve parked his car on the side of the road.

"Dustin! This is Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin?" Lucas's voice rang out over the walkies as the trio piled out.

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin tutted as he got out of the car.

"Oh where were you about twelve hours ago?" Jenny yelled into her own walkie-talkie.

"Sorry, man. My stupid sister turned it off."

Steve and Jenny began unpacking the rest of the materials from the car whilst Dustin stood talking uselessly.

"Well, while you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon."

"Wait. What?"

"I'll explain later. Meet me, Jenny and Steve at the old junkyard."

"Steve?"

"And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket!"

"Steve Harrington?!"

"All right, let's go," Steve said, shutting his trunk and locking it. Jenny handed Dustin a bucket and picked up a canister of gasoline.

"Just be there, stat. Over and out." Dustin huffed, following after Steve.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"All right, so let me get this straight," Steve huffed, chucking a few pieces of meat to the ground as he walked. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?"

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin said.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?"

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome! Jenny understands."

Steve looked to Jenny next to him who quickly shook her head, "Sure thing buddy " She told Dustin anyway, walking up and patting him on the shoulder.