• 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 •

~ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐄 ~
𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟓𝐓𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟒

The moment of peace quickly passed as El threw herself right back into the chaos. Steve barely had time to understand how she ended up here before he and Jenny were back on babysitting duty, only this time, safe inside a comfortable home.

Fred hoisted Will over his shoulder, looking back only once at his daughter before going out into the night.

Jenny didn't say goodbye. She had decided she didn't like goodbyes.

She and Steve followed the children out onto the porch, watching Hopper leave with El for the gate, and Fred, Jonathan, Nancy and Joyce headed for Hopper's secret cabin in the woods to perform an exorcism.

A lot of strange things had happened since getting involved with the Upside-Down, but Jenny had to admit, an exorcism was not something she could have even catastrophised. And she was good at that.

Dustin marched back into the house as soon as they lost sight of the taillights. Steve and Jenny shared a look of intrigue before heading back into the house after him.

Dustin was standing over the body of the Demo-dog, his hands on his hips in contemplation.

"What've you got there buddy?" Jenny joked, walking over to him.

"A fantastic idea," He said seriously. Jenny looked at him in confusion. He gave her a toothy grin, raising his eyebrows and nodding in the direction of the body.

"Dustin no–"

"Steve?" Dustin called out. Steve popped his head out from the kitchen with a tea towel swung over his shoulder and a dustpan and broom in hand. Jenny didn't think he could have gotten any more attractive.

"Yeah?"

"Get over here."

Steve sighed and handed the sweeping supplies over to Mike, Max and Lucas, instructing them to carefully ("Emphasis on carefully!") start cleaning up the glass all over the floor.

As Steve came over to the two of them, he realised exactly what they were standing over. He grimaced and rested his hands on his hips, looking at Dustin.

"Surely you can take that thing outside yourself?"

Dustin laughed, "Oh it's not going outside."

"What?" Jenny and Steve asked.

"We need to preserve it!" Dustin said. He pulled a large towel from a basket of unfolded laundry sitting on the Byer's couch. Jenny shook her head.

"We're getting rid of that thing," She told him. Dustin scoffed and slapped his hand against his heart.

"You hurt me, cousin... Steve, pick it up."

Steve stuttered unintelligibly in disbelief, supposedly arguing with Dustin, and throwing his hands around until he met the gaze of his very unimpressed young friend, and let his hands fall to his sides.

He let out a long, exasperated sigh before snatching the towel from Dustin and throwing it over the body. He squatted down to wrap it around the slimy creature.

Jenny was in disbelief. There was no way they were going to keep that thing. Where would they even leave it?

"Christ. Help me out?" Steve said, looking up at Jenny in anticipation. Jenny tried to get out the words to argue, but she gave up when both Dustin and Steve looked at her with blank expressions.