Chapter 9

Elle's POV
Olivia was sunbathing in a lounge chair, while Sadie and I enjoyed the cooling sensation of the pool water on our skin.

"Marco!" Sadie shouted with a giggle, her eyes closed as she waved her arms around trying to find me in the water.

"Polo!" I replied back, dodging her as she leapt in my direction at having heard the sound of my voice.

When she heard me splashing as I swam away from her, she chased me around the pool until she eventually caught up to me.

"Got you!" She shouted out in excitement, clinging onto to me. We were laughing until we heard Ruth asking us if we wanted any lemonade.

Swimming over to the edge of the pool, helped Sadie out of the water before hoisting myself up and out of the water.

From having been in the heated pool for the past hour and a half, I was instantly covered in goosebumps, my nipples hardening as soon as my skin touched the cool air.

"Kieran!" Sadie yelled, nearly tripping over herself as she ran go give him a hug.

"Hey kiddo!" He replied with a wide smile, lifting her up and swinging her around while in his arms.

"Would you and Mr. Grant like some lemonade?" Ruth asked, pouring them each a glass of the freshly squeezed refreshment.

"Yes please."

Tobias joined us out back, still dressed in his work clothes. He removed his jacket and set it down on one of the lounge chairs.

My eyes zeroed in on the veins bulging out of his hands and arms as he rolled up his sleeves.

"Thirsty?"

"Huh?" I blinked, looking over at Ruth as she handed me a glass of lemonade with a smile on her face. I blushed, feeling like she had definitely caught me staring. "T-Thank you."

I nearly downed the cool drink in seconds, wanting to blame the sun beating down on me but knowing that wasn't the reason I was feeling so hot.

"Would you like some more?" Ruth asked, the pitcher of lemonade in her hand.

Heat crept onto my cheeks from feeling embarrassed to have been caught checking Tobias out. "Yes, please. Thank you."

She poured me another before going inside to make another pitcher of lemonade. Sadie and Olivia went inside to help her, leaving me alone with the two men I haven't stopped thinking about since we danced together.

Bringing the glass back up to my lips, I took a sip of the beverage before setting the glass down on the little accent table.

"Is this new?" Kieran asked, eyeing me in my bright red swimsuit as he approached me.

"Yes." I gasped softly when his fingers started playing with the lace on my bikini bottoms.

"I like it," he whispered, biting his lip as his eyes trailed over me once more.

"Kieran."

Kieran removed his hand, glancing back at Tobias with a frown. They shared a look between each other and then Kieran stepped back and grumbled something under his breath.

I brought my gaze over to Tobias as his icy blue eyes flickered to me. "I need to speak with you," he said, just as stoic as ever. "Meet me in my office before dinner."

I gave him a head nod. Looking at Kieran once more, he picked up his suit jacket and walked back inside the house.

"Do you know what he wants?"

Kieran turned back around to face me. "No, I don't. But I hope it has to do with making you our partner because I don't think I can wait much longer."

Neither do I.

****

I repeatedly knocked on Tobias' office door, waiting for him to respond. But he never did. So I simply opened the door and walked in.

He looked up from whatever he was writing and frowned. "I did not tell you to come in."

"I knocked on your door several times," I protested.

"Yes, I know. But I still did not tell you to come in."

"What an ass," I muttered under my breath, not expecting him to have heard me.

He slammed the pen down on his desk, shifting all of his attention to me. "That mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble some day, Elle."

I stiffened. That's the first time he's said my name. Unlike the way Kieran says my name, it sounds so authoritative. Like a father speaking to a child.

I've never liked being talked to like a child and Tobias seems to have a habit of doing that. Which I find to be both annoying and slightly bit arousing.

It makes me wonder what would happen if I were to say or do something to piss him off. Would he punish me like a child as well?

"You wanted to speak to me?" I asked, changing the subject because I was starting to feel hot again.

"Yes. Close the door."

I remained where I was, crossing my arms over my chest and waiting for him to ask nicely.

"Did you not hear me?" He asked, growing frustrated at my disobedience.

"I did. I'm just waiting for you to say please."

"I don't beg."

"Then the door stays open," I replied, plopping down in the chair and slinging one leg over the other.

He inhaled and exhaled slowly, as if trying to restrain himself from doing  something he may or may not regret. "I'm going to let that slide. This time. Now, I was wondering if you would like a job working for me at my company?"

I sat up straighter in my seat, surprised by his offer. "A job? Doing what?"

"You will be my personal assistant. Which means providing me with whatever I may need."

"Like a secretary? Don't you have one of those already?"

"Do you want the job or not?" He snapped.

I lost the attitude, taking in the fact that he was nice enough to offer me a job. He may annoy the hell out of me, but he can be nice when he wants to be.

"Yes, I do. Thank you."

"Good. You start monday."