Chapter 28

The space beside me was cold and empty, Kieran's warm body no longer there to hold me.

I grabbed the pillow he laid his head on and hugged it to my chest. I sighed happily, appreciative of the smell that still lingered on his pillow.

He smells so amazing.

I looked up, quickly setting the pillow down when Ruth knocked on my door and entered my room.

I knew she caught me, because she gave me a knowing look.

My cheeks pinkened.

Although none of us ever told her, Ruth seems to know about my relationship with the guys.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

"I- whatever do you mean?" I questioned as if I didn't know exactly what she meant by that statement. My voice had gone up an octave, which Ruth had noticed.

"This old woman knows more than you think, dear. I've had my fair share of men back in my day."

"Really? Any of them at the same time?"

The color on her cheeks blossomed, her entire face beet red as she squirmed and chuckled sheepishly.

I gasped, taking her reaction as her response. "Ruth, you dirty, dirty girl."

Her beautiful aging face reddened even more, which I didn't even think was possible. "It was only one time."

"Would you ever do it again?"

"Hell yeah," she asnwerwd so quickly that she clamped her hand over her mouth and giggled adorably. "It was the best sex I'd ever had in my life," she whispered.

I was so shocked. I mean Ruth was a very beautiful woman in her prime. She's beautiful now. I just never pictured her as the type to participate in a threesome.

"So you're okay with this then? I know Tobias and Kieran are like your sons. I just-"

"Oh, I don't mind. Besides, it's been awhile since the two of them were able to find someone they really like."

"Really?"

"When was the last time?"

She nervously glanced at the door before looking back at me and bringing her voice down to a whisper. "I really shouldn't be telling you this, but there was one woman in particular that the boys seemed really fond of."

"What happened?"

She glanced at the door once more before proceeding. "She was their first ever partner. Tobias quickly caught feelings for her, which apparently was against the rules."

Tobias catching feelings?

That doesn't sound like him at all.

"Tobias was hit pretty hard with the love bug. There wasn't a single thing he wouldn't do for her. So when she asked him to show her a side of him he had been clearly holding back out of fear he would scare her away, he did it anyway because he loved her."

"And then what happened?"

Ruth sighed and shook her head of gray hair. "She left. Tobias had been too much for her."

I swallowed. "Do you know what he did to have her scared like that?"

"No. All I know is that the girl ran out of the house crying."

Damn.

What the hell did he do to her?

"Did Kieran say anything about what happened?"

Ruth shrugged. "I don't know. If you want to know more, then I suggest talking to the girl."

"You don't happen to have her number or anything like that?"

"No, I'm sorry. But Tobias keeps a little black book in the drawer of his desk in his office. It has names and information pertaining to all of him and Kieran's past partners."

"Do you think there's one of me in there?"

"I don't know. I like my job, so I stick to minding my own business."

"I see. Thank you, Ruth."

She smiled. "Of course, dear. And breakfast is ready if you're hungry."

I thanked her once more, watching her exit the room before getting out of bed to get dressed for the day.

****

I waited for Kieran and Tobias to leave, before sneaking into Tobias' office. I told them I wasn't feeling well, which wasn't entirely a lie. My body was a little sore after last night.

I searched everywhere, trying to find this little black book Ruth told me about. I did my best to make sure the place was kept exactly how Tobias had left it.

Knowing Tobias, he'd notice if even a speck of dust had entered this room. He keeps it so clean that I often wonder what it would be like to mess all up with some filthy, rough sex.

He doesn't usually leave the door unlocked, which was very fortunate for me, because that meant I wouldn't have to steal his keys or forcibly attempt to break in.

I paused in the center of the room with one hand on my hip and the other sifting through my hair.

Where the hell is it?

I stared at the wall of books filling his bookshelf, skimming over the books for any that looked remotely suspicious.

Then I heard footsteps and the jiggle of the door handle. So I quickly ducked under his desk just as the door was opened.

What is he doing back here?

Did he forget something?

I had my hand folded over my mouth, regretting my actions now that there was a possibly that I could be caught.

I was trying to quiet my loud, heavy breathing, the footsteps getting closer and closer. They paused at the desk and I listened to the frantic thud of my heart beating in my frightened chest.

"What are you doing in here, kid?"

I heard Tobias' voice, followed by the frightened yip of my little sister. "I-" Sadie began to say, stammering over her words.

"Well, spit it out," he growled, growing impatient.

"I was looking for a book to read. Margaret said I could check your library."

"Did she now?" After a moment of silence, Tobias sighed, speaking in a much softer voice. "I don't think the books on my shelf will interest you. How about I take you to the bookstore after I get off work."

"Really?" She asked cheerfully.

"Mhm. You can pick out as many books as you want."

"Like a bajillion?"

He chuckled, the gruff sound wholesome and causing my nipples to pebble beneath one of Kieran's white tees.

"I'll buy the whole store if that's what you want."

I heard rapid footsteps and then my sister's tiny voice. "Thank you, Mr. Grant."

"Please, call me Tobias."

"Okay, Tobias."

I was still under his desk when they left, a smile on my face. When I finally climbed out from under his desk and was back on my feet, I left his office, forgetting about why was I even there in the first place.