Malibu: Day 3

It was almost midnight, Meredith was sitting by the bonfire near the shore and the small cabin next to it.

"Hey!" she heard someone from behind her. She turned around to see Nick walking towards her.

"Hey" she smiled back.

"Can't sleep?" he asked sitting next to her

"Yeah,just-- I have a lot going on and my mind is filled with things I should not be thinking about" Meredith answered observing the fire in front of them.

"I talked to Derek about us, I told him the truth" Nick blurted out sitting next to her,making Meredith look at him in shock.

"So he knew that we're fake?" Meredith asked, confused

"Yeah, I made it clear to him." Nick sigh

"What'd he say?" Meredith wanted to know.

"He understood it, he took it better than I was expecting actually" Nick chuckled slightly.

"What about the project?" Meredith aksed hesitantly.

"We're still doing it. He wanted to visit the factory next week actually" Nick smiled  "He said we wasn't serious about that pact from college"

"So we can stop this, then? We can stop pretending" She smiled sadly looking at the ring in her finger.

"What?" he asked, as if he didn't heard
what she said.

"I can't do this anymore,Nick" she looked at him in the eye, tears were welling up in her eyes. "We need to stop, in fact we should. I mean Derek already know the truth so there's no point of pretending anymore" she breath out.

"Why, what do you mean?" he asked, confused thinking if he did something wrong "Did I do something wrong? Did I say something you didn't like? Did I cross the line? Did I-" he rambled, but before he finished his sentence she interrupted him.

"Because it's becoming real, Nick" she blurted out, tears were rolling down her cheek "I am falling for you for real and it scares me. Because I knew that it's all just an act that it's not real that in the end we're not really together, that you just used me to have a project, that you don't feel the same way" she said all of those in one breath, more tears were steaming down her cheeks while looking at his eyes. "I don't want to completely fall for you and get nothing in the end. So after this trip, I'll hand you resignation letter right away, I-i can't be anywhere near you anymore"

"Wait,hold on. You can't just resign just because our contract is done, we still have the project with Derek and I want you in it" Nick said.

"There's no point of pretending anymore, Nick. Look I enjoyed playing wife and husband with you and I know I should not be feeling anything about it but it feels real to me, you out of all people, you're the only person who made feel all those stupid things" Meredith said looking deeply into his eyes, more tears steaming down her cheeks.

"You think, I don't feel the same" he shot back, softly. "I've fallen for you since the day I saw you and nothing changes- all those years, those decades, I-I tried to shove off  that feeling,but I can't" he blurted out. "I have loved you since high school, Meredith Grey, I have loved you for the first time in years when I saw you again at the mall in New York" he added. with a small smile

"You love me....for real?" she asked him,shyly making him blush.

"Did I-did I say that?" he asked, still in shock

"You did" Meredith chuckled smiling at him.

"I guess I did" he breathed out, chuckling slightly. looking at the fire in front of them.